Followers

3/20/2018

Dirty Pour Acrylic Experiment

Good evening, welcome. Please help me welcome some new followers, and then we'll get to the dirty pour acrylic results that I told you about earlier.

Nancy of artful notions
 
 
Thank ya'll for joining this blog as new followers. I'm so pleased to have you visit, and I'm hoping my visitors will follow these links, pop over, say hello and enjoy some fabulous creativity. It's nice to have some new followers, as things have been rather slow in that department for a while.
 
Additionally, the comment notification is still not working as it used to do. So if I miss visiting you, please let me know. I'm looking in several places to try to make sure I reciprocate any visits here, so I hope I'm not neglecting anyone!
 
OK..a couple posts ago I mentioned a technique I had seen on Cathy's Card Spot with a technique that I'd never heard of. Now Cathy does fab cards, so I always love her work. Then while visiting my friend Loll I saw another example of this technique. Well, why hadn't anybody told ME about this? Cause their cards  sure looked amazing. Of course I go to youtube and type Dirty Pour Acrylics and spent the afternoon watching videos  (it was a rainy Sunday afternoon anyway!) Finally called the Mr in, had him look at one, and said "you think we could try this?". He used to be a pretty good painter, and on occasion can get pretty creative - more so than I. Only linked the one we watched, but there's lots of videos available. Some are better than others.
 
Gathered some supplies, (like canvas, pouring medium and silicone liquid). One afternoon when we didn't have other obligations, and again it was a dreary afternoon, we headed for the basement airbrush table, and started to work. I have bottles of craft paint from long ago hobbies, but you can use just about any paint I believe. Don't think you need the pouring medium, water would probably work, and the silicone isn't mandatory either.  We had some little condiment cups that had been washed out very thoroughly; I poured  bubblegum pink, a pale blue, a bright yellow, some gold and finally a pearl white in each of 5 small cups. I didn't want large amounts of mixed paint left if this didn't turn out to be something we liked. Added the Liquitex pouring liquid, stirred with a craft stick. Didn't seem thin enough to pour easily, so took a pipette and added some water slowly, stirring all the while, until it felt like it would do the pour on the canvas. Mixed all these paints into a large Dixie drinking cup. The video instructions said it didn't matter the color order, but we added the white last, and it did sink right to the bottom. Then Mr. slowly added some of the silicone in drops. The silicone makes the 'cells' or the little blobs you can see on the canvas. Then slowly poured some of the Dixie cup contents and watched it spread over the canvas, drip down the edges.
 

What resulted was pretty much as the video shows....BUT as the lady in this video used an offset spatula to move the color around, Mr. decided to try that. Only he used the flat craft stick. Basically this scraped rather than moved paint.  Should have used one of the embossing paste knife spatulas....the stick sort of just muddied the colors...as we didn't have a speck of green that shows. Also I may have gotten the paint mixture too thin, as there are white spots in the canvas, and the canvas was not covered very well either. I've been advised that we can apply gesso over this, cover up, and try again.  I wanted to share the results here first. It's messy - so wear gloves. I think this could be lots of fun, but I have no idea what to do with the finished canvas! Another idea that Loll gave me, was to smoosh a thick cardstock in the drips left in the pan...which I tried with some watercolor paper that was handy (it isn't working great for water coloring of late, so try something else!) Basically I got pretty much a muddy look, but might be something I can die cut.
 
Oh yes, preparation of the work surface: Used a Dollar Store thin shallow aluminum baking pan, set the canvas up on 'legs' made from other small condiment cups (like applesauce comes in) - so that it would drip. We did do a little tilting to spread the paint too. As I said, it was not too bad, until we started getting mud. If you see the little 'spots' along the canvas, that is from the silicone oil. It dried faster than I expected.
 
Ok...that's it for me! Still working on Easter Cards. Best get crackin'. Ya'll enjoy the rest of the week and thanks for popping by. God Bless & Hugs.  Come again when you have time.
 
 

33 comments:

  1. Lovely result Mary. I had not heard of this technique either. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well good on you and the Mr for giving it a try and I think you have got some lovely swirls and shapes in there and there are definite areas of the bright pink and some blue but obviously somewhere along the line most of the yellow has mixed with the blue to make green, but it is very pretty and every pour will be different which is part of its charm. TFS us Mary and hope the Easter cards are going well. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, your dirty pour looks so colourful. Isn't it a fun technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a combined joint effort produced some great results! Love the color mix, and rather you than I because I hate to make a mess! LOL NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good and I have to check this out. It doesn’t look muddy at all to me but it reminds me of the Gasoline colours one sees when there is gasoline on the ground..my favourite look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary looks like lots of fun,love the result xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, I can see some pretty "cells"in the colourful areas of your canvas. It's such a fun technique, more so if you are sharing it with your hubby! Look forward to seeing more of your pours, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is something I keep meaning to try - well done for having a go, it looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, Loving the result. Hope you are whizzing through your Easter cards. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just learned about this "dirty pour" technique. I was wondering why I was getting notifications from Amazon on acrylic paint and now I know why. lol I think you and the Mr. got good results! I loved seeing Loll's too, who knew this was a technique?!! That was my question to the gal I watched do this on canvas, what to do with it? I guess you hang it as art! Very cool looking indeed and I love that you and the Mr. did this together. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it looks like paisley in some parts and I love that. I'm glad you tried it and that Mr. helped. I haven't seen all the videos yet but I may try this. I do have paints not being used. We got several inches of snow overnight so I'll be in today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a fun technique, Mary. The result is beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great collaborative work with your hubby, it's lovely you have had fun crafting together on a canvas! Lovely colors and mix ups, waiting to see the others tried, too! :)This is another technique I have to try, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a new technique to me. One I most likely will not try and it requires supplies I don't have and I am trying to curb my spending. But I love the look and would like it on card stock so it could be a card rather then on canvas. It sort of reminds me of a marbling look or the shaving cream technique. So nice you and the hubby can share the experience too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Mary what a wonderful result you 2 achieved. You must have had fun together, hope there wasn't too many "you should do it that way" LOL. I think it will be a long time before I try something like that, although I love you did it on canvas.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Again, I am amazed at the techniques you try, Mary. This is awesome, but not something I would ever attempt to do. You and your hubby did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun, Mary and love that your husband did it with you! Yours came out great. Mine, not so great until I smashed it into the drippings on the garbage bag. At least it was usable though. Things like that are so fun to do. Now I'm waiting to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This technique looks amazing!! The colors are stunning!! Thanks for the inspiration, Mary!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great result and lucky you had the Mr to help. don't think I will try this though looks too complicated for me and as for my Mr helping he would probably use turpentine.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great result Mary have seen quite a few on FB but not had a try yet -still getting my courage up lol
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it is awesome that DH was up for giving it a try with you! Love what you created. Even a snow day won't get me that ahead! In fact my DH has had to come back through Seattle to get home tomorrow night instead of tonight! So there's no way I'll get him up in my craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow what a fabulous technique and colors Mary.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is fabulous Mary, lovely colours - it sounds like you had fun.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sweet of you to give a shout out to your new followers. As you said gaining followers has been very slow of late...more and more crafters are taking to Instagram and facebook. Love your gorgeous work.
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Apologies for my lateness, a bit under the weather.. yuk. I really like the result that you both achieved, I love the marbled look! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like fun, Mary! How special that you and Joe could enjoy doing this together! Looks like a good way to use up bits of leftover paint.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mary, I can't thank you enough for the package of goodies!! Oh my gosh, it was like Christmas!! I absolutely love every single thing you sent and I can't wait to use them!! You are too generous but I can't tell you how happy I am!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I'm sorry I had to do this in a comment...I know I have your email address but I couldn't find it and I didn't want to wait any longer to thank you!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!! It's snowing here so a perfect time to head to my craft room ;) Big hugs :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is really cool, Mary! I've been wondering about your acrylic pour. You are so creative and adventurous to try these new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This came out great, Mary, especially for your first try! When I enlarge the pictures I can see all the different colors, it almost looks marbleized! I need to try this, too, some day... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an interesting technique,it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very cool results with your dirty pour Mary! Love the mix of colours. LOVE the areas with cells. So fun, isn't it??!! Even though it's messy. :) xx

    ReplyDelete