Followers

5/30/2018

Gina K. Stencil FLowers

Hiya, First, apologies for being slow in returning visits. I have to remember to go check the Awaiting Comments (as I'm sure a lot of you are having to do as well) to publish. I have a backlog of visiting to do, and I promise I'll catch up. We've been having some rainy days most of this week, with intermittent thunderstorms. Even though the computer has a good surge protector, I still power it down when the thunder starts.

Anyway, enough with the excuses. Recently I got 2 pretty stencils from Gina K. I decided to try using a dauber and some pigment ink over a dark cardstock to see how it would look. Here's the result:


Used a pale & darker yellow (don't remember what brand, but it was pigment ink) and then Hero Arts Unicorn white - daubed with a finger dauber, trying to do a little shading. A light green was used on the leaves and probably should have been a darker green to show up better. The cardstock was a navy blue, no texture. After finishing all the inks, went back using versamark on a finger dauber, covered all the stencil design. Then sprinkled some clear embossing powder. It has quite a nice shine IRL.

Did the same with the simple sentiment. Inked with the Unicorn white, used a WOW pearlized EP over it. Decided the bottom corner needed a little 'something', and these little embellies were in my line of sight. So there you go. I always need a card of this type, so I'm trying to build a little stash of such. Gina K had done a video using this stencil with a beautiful Gold ink & white card stock, and I hope to try that one of these days.

Recently read a post by my blog pal Loll  with a technique she calls Embedded Brusho technique (and she has a link to a good video, so check her post for the vid). Now I had seen another Youtube on this technique, tried it, and it didn't turn out well at all. (Trash offering). After reading Loll's instructions, I tried again, with much better results. (I did check out the video link first though).

Here's a couple of the results:

This used some Nuvo Shimmer Powder, Violet Brocade & Cherry Bomb and a WR Memory Box EF.

 
 
#1 was the first impression. (Shimmer Powder is rather similar to Ken Oliver Color Burst - powder rather than crystals.) Sprinkled it on the watercolor paper, then embossed & spritzed the w/c after this came out of the Big shot, but still in the folder. The folder had picked up some of the powder as it embedded into the w/c paper).
 
#2 (bottom example)  - 2nd pull after spritzing the product that got on the folder and it's much lighter.
 
#3 (top example)- 3rd pull, as there was still some color droplets left on the folder, so spritzed it again, got the color on the w/c paper; used a brayer to try to get most of the droplets off, but also since #1 was still quite wet, I pressed this piece into some of that color.(hope this makes sense).  #1 was quite vivid. Decided it was brighter than I wanted it, (a bit garish actually!) so I sprayed some pearlized mica spray over it, and that softened up the colors. I've made a card, which I'll share later.
 

This set was actually my first try with the EF, and used Brusho Turquoise and a Ken Oliver Color Burst in one of the newer orange colors that just came out. Didn't like this color effect too much. I tried swiping an old colorbox cats eye pad in a popcorn white over it (as the lady does in the video to tone down the colors). I couldn't really see much effect - but I didn't want to perhaps ruin one of my good white inks. Decided to spray the iridescent pearl over it, and I'm liking it better. Now what to do with it? The 2nd piece is just from dabbing (or smooshing - if you will!) this w/c piece over the wet on #1 before I put the spray on it.

I used another folder with some turquoise and Lime Green Brusho- and got about 5 pulls off it. Will show that in another post. This is a great technique when it works right LOL!

I had fun! My problem is I don't always know what to do with my results? You ever have that problem?

Will be trying to catch up visiting in the new few days. Don't give up on me. Thanks for joining me this afternoon, and Big hugs to anybody who might need one today.



 

30 comments:

  1. This is a test to see if checking the box "notify me" at the bottom of the comment box will send an email notification!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...this came into MY email when I checked the box. Now to see if I get notified when others check it. I think it might just notify THAT blogger, but I'll put a comment here if I start getting notifications that somebody else commented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lets see if you get notification of my comment then Mary. I love your Gina K stencil Mary and the white ink with hints of yellow and green look so pretty against the blue background. I think your samples of the embedded Brushos techique are so bright and beautiful and will make brilliant cards, and I must give this technique a go myself. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous new stencil you have to play with Mary. It looks so pretty done over top of the dark blue. Love your design!

    Congrats on having success with this fun embedded brusho technique. All your pieces look awesome. I know what you mean about doing something with them afterwards. I do have a lot of pieces in my stash just like this. :) But eventually they will get used up and it's always nice to create a quick card with the background already done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous stencil!! I love the colors of the flowers over the dark blue background!! They are so beautiful!! Your brusho pieces are fabulous, too!! I have a whole drawer full of pieces that I haven't used and don't know what to do with!! Maybe someday I'll figure it out ;) Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun...so are you sprinkling the embossing folder with brusho colors then spritz with water, place the paper in folder and run through cuttlebug??? Shall have to try that. I still have not mastered Brusho's, have lots of backgrounds to play with, but running threw cuttlebug in a folder sounds fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't checked out Gina K stencils. this one is beautiful, love the deep blue background framing the pretty flower. great embedded brushos backgrounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your stencilled card Mary - that is stunning!
    I must try that embedded Brusho technique - sounds like fun - I put all my backgrounds like that in a pile and every now and again I pull one out for a card... don't stress over it and they eventually get used :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, Lovely card. The brusho project is fab.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card!
    Have a great day!
    Marilyn❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try this again as my tries are trash fodder! Your results are much better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty work Mary. Love that Gina K stencil. I'll have to look into that one. The wedding went well. We are still in Boston, now moving my youngest into their first house. We will be leaving for home on Saturday. Looking forward to my own bed and some crafting time (after I catch up with everything to do when I get home. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great coverage you achieved with your inks on dark paper Mary! Just beautiful. Thanks for posting the results!. of your embedded Brushes too. What terrific results! These are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your stenciling Mary, it has lovely colours and design. Your shimmer powder results have beautiful colours and mixed with the EF, it looks wonderful.
    I hope you are getting email comments now, they are coming through with me now. Hopefully with you too.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. The stencil and the card you made with it are so pretty. That was a great idea to go over it with versamark ink and emboss it. I'm so glad you tried the brushos technique. Some of mine worked and others not so much so I know what you mean. I love those shimmer powders because they are softer colors. Maybe that's why I often don't like my brushos - they are so dark.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I love the way you used that stencil. That card is beautiful. I also like your lovely backgrounds you made too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous card Mary, I love the floral image and your stenciling is brilliant with those wonderful colours.
    Your brusho backgrounds are beautiful, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your stenciled card is so pretty, and I will have to try stenciling on dark cardstock one day myself! Love your other technique projects and how they turned out, and a resounding YES to making backgrounds I have no clue what to do with! I made one such item within the past few days, spending hours creating and have no clue what to use it for. LOL Crafters block I reckon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun time you've been having trying out the techniques. The embedded brusho's is such a unique effect and it's now on my to do list.Your finished card is so pretty and again with such a wonderful technique. Love the effect on the dark card. Thank you Mary for all your wonderful inspiration and the 'how to' steps x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with receiving the comments too Mary...let us know? x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that card using the stencil! So pretty! The Brusho samples are awesome too! Wow! You're going to be making some beauties with those.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful card Mary, pretty stencilled flowers and lovely colours.
    What a fabulous technique, I've not heard of the Embedded Brusho Technique, thank you for sharing.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the results of the light pigment ink on your dark card stock. Great idea to add the clear embossing powder to give it that nice shine. I saw Loll's technique too and your panels look wonderful! I'll have to give that a try. Putting them to good use on a card is always a struggle for me. My plan is to draw up some sketches that just focus on backgrounds or single images I color and just assemble them all one day - never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have stopped getting emails notifications of comments too!!!Love the beautiful stencil over the dark card and your brusho techniques look great -I also have the problem of what to do with backgrounds-have a load done but hate covering them up
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mary, that stencil is beautiful! I love what you did with it too, it is very striking.

    The Brusho technique looks interesting, I must check out the video, thank you for sharing your experiments, I am really fascinated now! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super stencil and you have used some great colours.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad that the "notify me" button makes well its work ;)
    Your stenciled flowers are so beautiful, and the new Embedded Brusho technique you used foe the other pieces looks wonderful and so interesting!! One day I will have a try!
    Hugs, I'm very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your flower card looks so pretty! Need to try pigment inks on dark cardstock! Glad you were having fun with Loll's technique and now have some fabulous panels to use. Don't worry, it happens to me all the time: I love to make backgrounds and then they sit around because turning the into cards involves so many decisions and I am not good with those... Also, as you can see, I am constantly behind in my commenting! Too much going on around here at the moment! This week we are having two graduations, two parties plus overnight guests...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Look like you had a lot of fun with these Mary, great technique. I'm sure you'll think of something to do with them.

    ReplyDelete