Followers

5/14/2018

Happy Birthday Flower

Hi and thanks for joining me this evening. I've been a little missing on blogging the past couple of weeks. We had things going on - some medical, some family obligations - and you know...just life. Hopefully most of the medical stuff is in the past, just going for checkups and stuff like that. It's getting pretty hot in our area, and our air conditioning had to go on over the weekend. We did have some lovely porch times, as we had nice breezes to cool; it was so nice to open up the house and air out the winter's mustiness.

Anyway, I'd seen a youtube showing a stamp that makes 'stained glass' effects using any stamp image in your stash. It was DRS Designs Large Stained Glass, so tried the techniques used in the video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Bv9adZ2a0.



Sparkle n Sprinkle Dahlia was embossed with a sparkle gold, then colored with copics in yellow shades. This would have shown up better had I used black to emboss it.

Background was colored with copic BG colors - which is not showing up great in the photo either. Then the Stained Glass stamp was inked with Versamark black, and stamped using the Misti. It took quite a few efforts to get it stamped thoroughly, especially at some of the corners and along the bottom edges. Good thing I had used the Misti. I'm hoping the next time it's used, it will stamp a bit better. Think it would also have looked better had I colored in some of the 'pieces' with a darker blue shade to emphasize as done in the video.  Used 3 coats of UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) - inking with Versamark, then sprinkling UTEE, heat, and repeating this process 3 times. Let it cool well, then bent the piece to cause crackling.

- used the same glitter gold EP to create the gold outer frame.

- white c/s was embossed with a floral EF, then sponged with DOX colors of Peacock Feathers, Spiced Marmalade and Wild Honey.

- old wooden stamp with a calligraphy font for the sentiment, embossed using the same gold used above, die cut with a pierced die, then edged with the gold again.

This is a pretty floral, but it just doesn't show up well with the way I've used it here. It's hard to see the flower details. Lesson learned!

There's a new card to enjoy on the Cards by Friends page, which I hope you'll take a peek to see.

Thanks for visiting, and take care. God Bless, many hugs.

23 comments:

  1. This is so gorgeous, Mary!! I love the technique you used and the colors!! So beautiful!! It's been hot here, too. It seems like we went straight from winter to summer with no spring. Not complaining because I'll take sun over snow any day ;) Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your great stained glass background Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stained glass effect, Mary! I have never seen this stamp. Love the choice of colours and the background.
    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, Lovely card. The stained glass effect is fab.

    Hope your temps don't go too high. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous card Mary - I could see the detail of the stamp once I enlarged my page, and could get a closer look - a great result for a first try of the technique. Hope all is well on the medical side of things
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty!!
    Have a great day!
    Marilyn❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary! It may look better IRL but the colors are gorgeous. I'll have to watch the video when I get a chance. I'll be missing for a couple weeks as the wedding is next week and after that we are helping our youngest son move to his new house. It will be a busy 2 weeks away. Hope you have a wonderful time. Enjoy that porch and the cool breezes. We hit 95 yesterday! Too hot for May. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life has a habit of getting in the way of stamping! I'm glad you're back. This is lovely and I will go watch the video. The color is beautiful. I do like the sponging on the background too. When are getting some hot weather with humidity. I didn't think it would ever come! It does bring storms though and I don't like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool technique, Mary! Love that bright flower! Feels like summer has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful. I have to watch the video as I love the look of stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A super card Mary, such a fabulous 'stained glass' stamp and lovely colours.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing prettier! Love the look of stained glass Mary. Lovely card.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! your stained glass effect is so beautiful. Clever you.

    Hope all OK now with you all. PS Thanks again.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a cool image to create stained glass Mary. The colours you've used for your flower are to bright and beautiful. And I love the cracks in the clear coat. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an interesting stamp Mary and would look great with lots of different stamps to create this pretty stained glass effect, and the dahlia is such a beautiful bright colour, also love that flower embossing and such great colours in the background. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stained glass is a cool technique- thanks for sharing the link! Love the bold orange color of the flower and especially all the colors in the background! I completely understand how "life" gets in the way of our crafting hobby! Hopefully all is well on your end as we roll through another week! Stay cool, our central air went on late yesterday too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great technique and the Dahlia looks beautiful with the stain glass cracks running through! Enjoy the warmth! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an effective technique Mary, I always intend to try to add new techniques to my repertoire but somehow always forget my good intentions when I sit down to make a card!! The colours you have used are wonderful and the black contrast is fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty card Mary! Your stained glass effect is so creative and pretty!
    Hugs,
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow...absolutely stunning Mary. Such a fabulous and effective technique. So creative and love that you crack it all at the end x Hope 'Life' has settled down for you and enjoy the times on the porch, they sound wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another technique to learn. I am amazed at the techniques you ladies use for card. It's not just stamping.. it is taking the card to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun technique and so well done, Mary! The orange is so vibrant with the aqua contrast and I love the crackling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great technique, I've not seen this one, like your color choices too!

    ReplyDelete