Hi and thanks for stopping by. Wanted to try to play in Mrs. A's Butterfly Challenge so have been working with butterfly dies lately. This month the challenge alphabet letter is W for Washi Tape. I have a good supply of this, seldom use it. The main reason is: I never know where to put it that it doesn't look clumsy. Some years ago, saw a blog post where the cardmaker had saved bits of ribbon, adhered it to chipboard and cut a pretty butterfly. Well, why not make a butterfly with washi? So that's what I did. However, in selecting the washi rolls from the box where they are stored, found that a couple of these are 'fabric tape'...hmmm. Well, it worked just like washi, except it needed more coaxing to stick. Hope the combination of washi & fabric tape on this Ellentina butterfly will qualify this guy in Mrs. A's W challenge!!!
- applied strips of tape over a lightweight c/stock (el cheapo Georgia Pacific), burnished down the tape, and used the Ellentina Butterfly Set to die cut. This set has the filigree shape and a solid shape. Used the solid to cut the tape layer, and the filigree to cut the vellum overlay. Colored the body with Copic C110.
- another masking and faux metal background (per Jennifer McGuire)**. This time had more narrow borders - used DI Abandoned Coral, Fossilized Amber and Persimmon, and Perfect Pearls Copper. That really created a pretty look, but don't think it looks as metallic as the blue & green of this card. Still quite a pretty background though. Checked the EF more carefully this time to be sure the Embossing would be where I wanted :-).This time used Gina K Luxury Cardstock for the sponging. This c/s is 120# compared to the GP used on the previous card. That piece was from a stack cut to emboss samples to place with EF's before filing them to store. The GK c/s was much easier to sponge and then blend, and believe I got a much better look with this c/s. Just FYI.
- Elizabeth Craft sentiment cut from a snippet of the washi taped c/s. Always lose the little bits that should be used over the 'i', so there's a gold pearl
- added 2 strips of some of the washi tape at the border, cut on an angle. The angle was pretty rubbish with the diagonal cut, so used a punch to add a butterfly to hide the wonky angle. That looked odd, so added one more to have a trio of butterflies.
Hope my explanations of the adventures I have while making cards does not bore you to tears. When I'm surfing, I always enjoy learning what the crafter did 'wrong' and how it was fixed. I learn a lot from that...probably more than from seeing a 'perfectly made- no problem' card. But if you get tired of reading, then hopefully just enjoy the card and don't read all the blah-blah!! (I write pretty much the way I'd speak to you if you were here with me :-).
** Several commenters have said they could get to the link but couldn't get the video to play. If you're looking on Youtube, then try Jennifer's Blog (Aug 2 post). If it was at the blog where the problem was, try searching it out on Youtube, which is where I saw it. Hope this helps.
Don't forget to check out all the new monthly challenges that are going on over at HLS...There is sure to be one (or two!) that you'd like to join in.
Ya'll have a grand afternoon, and come again when you can. Now I'm off to link up at the August Butterfly Challenge. Big Hugs.