Followers

4/13/2017

Butterfly Snippets

Good evening, and today was just absolutely a glorious sunshine & warm day. No wind, just a soft balmy breeze, and a nice afternoon to sit outside - this morning had some errands.

In the cleaning process, I'm finding things that get pitched in the trash. The background of this card came very close to the trash, but as I looked at the colors, I decided to try to use it for _something_. It's printer paper, a scrap piece that has printing on the one side, but it was on the airbrush table where I spray or do messy things. The table itself has a large non-stick craft mat, but when I'm spraying, I still put down scrap paper to absorb some of the mess. Then I was experimenting with some black gesso, crackle paste and stencils, so more 'schtuff' got onto this piece. Thought it might work to die cut it, use it as a background.

Die cut the piece with an MFT stitched rectangle (which only puts in the stitching and didn't cut the rectangle. So then had to hunt for a similarly sized rectangle to cut the piece out! Still ended up doing some hand trim anyway & don't think the stitching shows in the photo). We'll just call this Carolina Creativity! The black patches are the black gesso, but there is some really shimmery gold spray on it. I liked the pink & turquoise shades, which is what prompted me to not throw this scrap away (I should say 'snippet').

The corrugated piece is one that has been rusted with Paper Artsy rusting powder and also got some of the gold overspray on it. Think it may have had some of the DI bronze stain on it too.

- Rubbernecker butterfly was stamped on a white snippet from the back of an old Christmas card, so a bit 'shiny' surface. Used Versamark, heat embossed with Ranger Black Detail EP. The black areas of the butterfly show the embossing. Used Kuretake turquoise w/c and the gold that comes with the Kuretake set. Didn't care for the shade of gold, so got out the Finetec Gold water color set (a NBUS) and just started painting with some of those colors. Liked this one much better, as it looks quite a bit like my favorite Queen's Gold embossing powder. This is a much brighter, richer shade of gold than the 2 in the Gansai Kuretake set. Laid down several layers with each color, so it doesn't look watercolored but painted. Looks quite glossy against the corrugated piece and the rather rough texture of the ink covered print paper.

Lastly, took a page from my friend Brenda W's book: Brenda is shopping her stash and using lots of older supplies to turn out some stunning cards..this sticker came from a NBUS sticker set of who knows what age!

Don't know if I'll ever mail this one...I never feel very confident with an 'artsy' card...is it artsy or just rather silly looking? But I had fun making it, and thinking about what to do with that salvaged paper!!!

Added some pretty Easter cards to the Cards by Friends page, so hope you'll have time to enjoy these.
Ya'll have a real good evening and thanks for stopping by to visit. Prayers & hugs coming your way.

41 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous, Mary!! The butterfly is so beautiful!! I love the corrugated cardboard!! It's artistic and fabulous!! Love it!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome! Artsy yes, (but that's a good thing) and mixed media! Why would you not mail this! The only reason I can think of is because you love it so much you want to keep it for yourself! I would...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dramatic look of that gorgeous butterfly against that corrugated torn piece! The background is just lovely too, but it's hard to take my eyes off of that butterfly! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely artsy and gorgeous Mary! Love the background colours and your butterfly looks fab on the textured cardboard, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely mail this card, it's very pretty. I love the butterfly and the background is very cool and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful I love how the butterfly came out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty card. Love the butterfly.
    Valerija xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A super mixed media piece Mary, always love a Butterfly. Looking out of my window at a dull chilly morning your weather sounds perfection.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, Glad you have nice weather. It's dismal and cold here and rain is forecast, but that's typical for a long holiday weekend.

    I love the card.

    Hope you have a lovely Easter. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's simply awesome Mary..
    I LOVE this card, all of it, you've excelled yourself in excellent eye for right combos...
    So well done indeed, esp in using your NBUS an dshopinngyour stash.
    LORD bless your Easter time as we remember His Great gift of salvation for us.. He gave His very all for us.
    Hugs, Shaz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  11. The background looks awesome. Something difficult to create with a purpose of turning out like this, I think it needs to be a mop up piece. I seldom get messy with inks and sprays, but that's what I need to do more I think.
    I think this butterfly is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how this turned out Mary! The background looks awesome and I absolutely love the beautiful butterfly (it looks so real)! The corrugated paper adds texture and visual interest. Great job! Moral to this story, keep all scraps, you never know what you can use!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW Mary absolutely stunning mixed media card and all the better for been accidental and fabulous butterfly
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! Good for you, Mary. I think this is great. I love the colors in the background and the gesso. When I first saw it I thought it was pattern paper. I'm so glad you decided to use it. The corrugated piece is perfect and the butterfly is lovely. Thanks for the shout out. I am so pleased to be using my older and scrapbooking supplies on my cards. It seems to add something unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is beautifully artsy, Mary! Love that background with all the mixed media and the butterfly is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this works beautifully Mary and the colour tones go together well and I love the corrufated card which you have sandwiched between the background and that fabulous butterfly. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic collage! Love that butterfly. I hope your family has a wonderful Easter. He's alive!!! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great way to use the snippets we all have stashed somewhere. It looks great the way you set it all together and highlighted by this beautiful butterfly. Love the turquoise on the wings

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, you have really given the Mixed Media style a run for its money! You made a stunning card with your "trash" and your older schtuffs!! Well done! I know you know a lot of ladies who love/do this style, so don't hesitate to send it to one of them! They will cherish it!! Glad you are having magnificent weather - long may it continue!! Happy Easter!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great save and a wonderful mixed media design.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous design Mary, wonderful mixed media card, and that butterfly is amazing, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is beautiful Mary, a gorgeous butterfly and great texture.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow!! Gorgous card, a very creative work!! I enlarged the photo to see it better and it looks really amazing! I can see the stitched edges in the large pic, and that big butterfly really pops on the corrugate cardboard! Great colouring on it, and great recicling too!! You have made so well to not waste that paper and then using it as background!
    Thanks for sharing and have a Happy Easter!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mary,
    yes it's very gorgeous, and wonderfully created.
    I sometimes get lost in all your wonderful techniques you use as I have never tried some them.
    It must take you ages with them all.
    That corugated card is such a gorgeous colour and looks very luxurious.
    Love the wonderful snippets background you have used too.
    Love and big crafty hugs from my house to yours. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Forgot to say what a very beautiful Butterfly also.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thhis is a VERY Striking card with great imapct Mary, I would love to recieve something like that, I know what you mean about "artsy" cards, I never use any I do, isn't that strange? just goes to show we are not comfortable in doing something different I expect. You can be assured this is Gorgoeus.
    Hugs
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great mixed media card Mary, fabulous colours on your background.
    Hugs Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Having fun, Mary, is what is all should be about, I say should be because nearly everything I have made this week has gone in the re-cycle paper bag.
    It is really now my thing either but you have made a great card using those elements and background.
    Happy Easter

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, wow and wow again Mary!! This mixed media card is absolutely stunning!! I love the wonderful background, the rusty corrugated card is amazing and the butterfly is gorgeous.... I love everything about this, it might just be my new favourite of your creations. You really must send this to someone who appreciates mixed media - they will love it! Happy Easter hugs to you. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Simply wonderful card...love your beautiful butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Another amazing treasure from your "snippet" box!! Love how you keep churning these out. The butterfly is truly spectacular. It really does pop off the background, which is also awesome by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful colours of your sprayed background, Mary. Very artsy and bold. So pretty with the gold corrugated card and pretty butterfly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great card Mary, love the different textures and the butterfly looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mary, what a dynamic, mixed media card! Love that background and all the texture you added to this! Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cool and definitely artsy, Mary ... way to go using your snippets and stash! The background is such a fabulous base for that beautiful butterfly ... texture, dimension, colour ... this has it all! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a gorgeous card! I love the texture you achieved and it is so vibrant!
    xoxo Olga

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great mixed media card, Mary - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  38. OMGOSH! This card is stunning Momma Mary! I'm so glad you didn't throw that piece away. I can't believe that background is just from over sprays and such!!! It is just stunning and I love the colors on it. The butterfly coordinates with it perfectly!!! What do you mean you will never mail it?!! Mail it, mail it!! Mail it to me! lol I love it!!! It is artsy and stunning and elegant all at the same time! Hugs, Brenda
    PS-I'm late getting around, so behind on my commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, I love the mixed media artsy look, Mary!!!!! Your card turned out fabulous and you should definitely mail it to someone at some stage!!!! The butterfly is so beautiful and it looks stunning against the artsy bg!!!! A lovely card, my friend!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  40. That background piece is the best. I'm glad you didn't relegate it to the trash. This is so artsy and fun!

    ReplyDelete