Followers

4/06/2017

Ghost Flowers

Good morning, after a very stormy Wednesday. Today is sunny, but the wind is fierce. Just collected yesterday's junk mail - yesterday was thundery, rainy & windy off & on for most of the day. Was not interested in going out in the rain to pick up junk mail! Then late last evening, we had another front move in, with more lightning and thunder... so it's lovely to see the sunshine today, even if it is a bit brisk outside.  Will be sharing another photo of the redbud tree showing the changes the Monday & Wednesday rains have brought along, and our dogwood trees have green furze on the branches. I knew there were buds on the limbs, but this morning I could see green coating all the limbs just as I was opening the window blinds. They seemed to turn green just overnight. Spring is here I'm pretty sure, and April showers bring May flowers, so I've always been told.

Has anyone watched the series The Night Manager? Binge watched this program of an evening, and really enjoyed it. Hugh Laurie did an excellent job of playing a villain in this series.

Another card from found items....and this background was probably made with sponging distress inks (or dylusions sprays...I can't remember) and was an attempt to do the ghosting technique with a stencil and water sprays.

 
- flower topper was a found yellow flower die cut ( MBox Tilth die) - colored with purple toned copics. Then gave it a couple coats of UTEE in interferon blue, and did this ever change to a pretty pearlized color. Doesn't show all that well in the photo. The ghost piece needed to be larger to fit a blue card base, so an MS border punch on some white snippets (back of a recycled Christmas card), created borders. Colored various shades of purple & dark blue copics, inked with WOW watermark ink, repeated the UTEE process doing 2 coats. I'm finding the WOW gives a thicker coating than the Versamark and worked better with having the UTEE cover the piece well. (UTEE=Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel).  The stash background already had an MS corner punch treatment, which prompted the choice of MS border punches. Keep an old grungy Versamark pad that has 'gunk' on the surface from redipping embossed pieces once they have been heat embossed. This can mess up the ink pad. Was able to wipe off the newer WOW pad with a dry baby wipe, but the powder - even though melted - can still mess up a pristine pad. (if that explanation makes sense!). Once again the camera has picked up a need for a slight bit of trim up surgery on the border corners. Debating whether to add a tiny rhinestone at each of the 4 punched corners.

Paintbrush Happy MBox die cut from a light purple and a hot pink c/s, although this looks quite red here.. it really is hot pink! Tried for the shadow effect with the purple under the pink. Lastly added a clear rhinestone center to the flower and a coat of Glossy Accent to the sentiment. Nice to use up another background and some snippets!

If you look here, you'll see what 5 days and a few days of rain did to the pretty pink blossoms of this tree. The surrounding grass is also a bit greener.

Thanks for joining me this morning. Now I need to do some commenting while drinking my coffee!
Have a wonderful day, and God Bless. Hugs


35 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've gone through some stormy weather Mary. Lucky for you it's calmer now. Spring is in the air over here too. With on and off good days and pretty cold days. Can't turn the heating off just yet. Your card is very pretty, I love your background and the big die cut flower on it. Looks very good. Hugs Veerle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dreamy colors on this beauty! The blues and purples blend so beautifully together, and I love all the texture! Those lacy borders and corners look so pretty too! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing card, love the colours.
    Valerija xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, That's a nice card.

    We are in full spring mode here, with colourful flowers popping up and buds opening on trees and the colour green slowly appearing along the hedgerows.

    Hope you have a nice day. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,
    oh what a very pretty card, and that ghosting background looks really super.
    Love the wonderful colours also.
    You always go the extra mile with you wonderful designs and techniques which gives your cards such lovely designs and colours.
    Oh you poor thing with all that awful weather, and your poor tree has suffered so too.
    So glad you have had some sun after the stormy weather.
    Love and big crafty hugs from my house to yours. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so gorgeous, Mary!! I love the colors!! The background looks amazing!! The scalloped borders are fabulous!! What a beautiful card this is!!

    We had the storms yesterday, too. Lots of wind and hail but thankfully no damage, except for lost blooms on the trees. Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. No major stroms here but rain, rain and more rain. Tomorrow snow! I love your card with the beautiful background and the ghosting technique. I also love the edge-really striking. I have not watched this series but it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! Mary this is such a lovely card, I'm boggled at what you do to get the result, BUT what a result, beautiful colours and texture, love the die top and bottom and the corners too, the gem finalysis everything.

    Sorry to hear you had storm weather, but glad to hear that everything is sprouting, we have a full Spring in the garden, must post some piccies! Everyday now will bring more out for you I'm sure.
    Take care
    hugs
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous card Mary and that background piece is oh so pretty. I love your use of UTEE on the flower and corners, and the MS border was a great addition to the original piece, and the bright sentiment stands out beautifully too. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is pretty Mary, a lovely background and your punched borders are fabulous - a super card created from found items.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring seems coming also here, but the sun is so very hot, as in the summer days. Not too much rain here, at this moment.
    Great background for that sweet flower, love it! Fabulous colours and you really made a good work with the UTEE powder on diecuts! Love the border and the corners, they make your card so sweet and feminine!
    Hugs and have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty card Mary, I love that Martha Stewart border you added. Nice to see the blossoms on the tree coming on and the grass is definitely a little greener. I think our weather is much the same as yours at the moment! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing wrong with hot pink even if the camera could have played a few tricks. Love the background on this beautiful card and also that flower type die you used. The ultra thick embossing power really makes it stand out.
    Glad you didn't have any of the awful weather that I know hit so many places. A little rain is great - even a lot of rain. The yard and tree are looking great.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dropped cooler here too Mary, but thank goodness no storms.
    Gorgeous background and love the scalloped edges, beautiful card.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like we're a day behind you weather wise! We've got the thunder and lightning just now! Great card Mary, love the background. So fun how you put these lovely cards together from all your little snippets! Gorgeous Blossoms on your tree. Hugh Laurie is one of my favs. Loved him in House, I will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful technique Mary, I genuinely thought it was pretty patterned paper until I read your post. Thank goodness we don't get very thundery weather over here, I really dislike it, I blame Grandma...she used to cover the mirrors and any silver if we had storms when she stayed when we were little and I think the fear stemmed from there!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have sun but quite a chilly wind-at least it is drying the washing!The ghosting technique looks great -will have to check out all these new (well to me) techniques you are trying and thank you for the lovely comment on my blog and email about the cling film technique -will have to have a play-but have grandaughters for the last week and next week as they are on Easter holidays
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you had some really bad weather Mary, hope it's gone now and you will have some lovely spring weather,
    Beautifully designed and coloured card, fabulous stamping.
    You'll soon have some beautiful blossom on that tree, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, that's such a beautiful background! Love the lacy edges you used on this! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the background of your card Mary. What do you mean by "attempt" at ghosting??!! It's looks awesome!! Always great when you can use up some leftover pieces and snippets to make a card. :) Great job! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your weather sounds like ours Mary, I am still waiting for Spring. Love the background colors and what a lovely design.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a sweetie Mary - a really lovely card.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good Morning from Scotland Mary. Love your Ghost Flowers Mary. Hope your weather gets better and your Cherry Blossom takes of with Spring/Summer flowers. I'm hoping to have a play day tomorrow with the fabulous Goodies I won on your Blog Candy. Have a lovely Easter weekend Mary. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is really a beautiful card. I love the blend of colors and the corners and border you added. I didn't know UTEE came in colors. The blue interfeon is so pretty. I will have to look for that. I only have white. It looks like you do have spring in your part of the state. My Bradford Pear tree is in full bloom but it was 32 yesterday with strong winds and a lot of the blooms are on my front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your card is lovely Mary. The background colors are so pretty and I love the die cut edges. Your ghost flower looks great. I have a bag of spray distress inks that I bought at a thrift store last summer but I still have not used yet. I will have to get them out and see what I can do with them.
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great card Mary! Love your new header picture! I have been remiss with my visits lately, as I have had to a few 'mercy' visits to my Mum's, so I have been 'toing and froing'! we actually have a bit of sunshine here in our part of the UK, so I'm out to cut the grass (while I still can, before the rain again). Have a great weekend! Luv n’ Hugs. Hazel xx
    My Card Attic

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your card is so gorgeous with that dreamy background you made and I love the lacy edges on it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning card Mary, hope you are done with storms for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your ghosting turned out really good, Mary! Mine usually doesn't show up well! Love the die cut flower and pretty borders! Our redbud has lost most of it's blooms and unfortunately most of them are on my floor! Beside the front door isn't a good place for a redbud tree!

    ReplyDelete
  30. All that stormy weather sounds like it was coaxing winter on its way. Your card is quite nifty. Love that bright HAPPY on it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A fabulous card, Mary, what beautiful colours! I hope the stormy weather has now passed and you can enjoy watching the gorgeous spring blossom emerge!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful card Momma Mary! I do love that ghosting technique you did, it looks so cool looking. I've never tried this technique before, sounds like something I should give a go as I so love yours!! That flower is amazing. Love the colors of this card as well. Your sentiment looks great with the purple shadow under the hot pink. I am so loving this card! Wow, I can see your greenery on your tree Momma Mary! Things are really popping out here too, in spite of the cold temps we had on Friday and Friday evening. I swear it was winter once again! And that wind was roaring like crazy. But the weekend has been pretty with Sunday (today) being the warmest, in the 70's. Still a cool breeze though and the sun is warm, but that air still has a bite to it. Grass needs to be mowed again as well. Definitely spring here! I thought with ya'll's temps your grass would have been greener. Ours is really green. Go figure!!! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous card Mary, I love that background! Beautiful tree!
    Hugs, Sherry x
    Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is beautiful Mary. The ghosting technique looks lovely and the scalloped borders are very pretty indeed. A lovely photo of the tree too. I love to see all the blossom coming out in Spring. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete