Followers

10/16/2017

Blue Vase of Sunflowers

Happy Monday evening. I hope none of my UK pals are going to have any problems with the storms that I've read are going to affect your shores. We had a textbook beautiful fall day to start the week. Overcast this morning, cool, but then the sun came out. Our temp hovered around 70F for most of the day. Had Bro #2 down the street for some leftover rotessarie chicken. After finishing the last baseboard cleaning yesterday, got presentable to visit the store. Too tired to cook so a lovely cooked chicken from our local Sam's Wholesale fit the bill for us. This is a good value for the money, as we usually get a couple meals from the chicken, and it's under $5.00 for one. Our local groceries have one about 3/4 the size Sam's or Costco sells, and for nearly $7.00. Got a couple of frozen side dishes to heat, and that was dinner. One of his grandkids had come by, so they handled the meal for him last evening. Kitchen now cleaned, comments caught up, so here goes a post.

A friend is having a bit of "Life" strike just at the moment, so thought this card I had done while MIA might cheer up a bit.

The image is an oldie, wooden block, but it's always fun to color. The vase has some glossy accents on it, and of course, the usual WoS for some sparkle. Couple layers on the die cut sentiment. Butterfly was handy to add a little trim. This looked cheerful to me...

When moving 'stuff' in the pc room so that I could even get to the baseboards, I found a box of very old cards done when I first started trying to learn how to watercolor. I have to say, don't think I've had much improvement in the intervening years. But hey, I'll share anyway! These are not cards that will ever get mailed (unless I get desperate!)-- I've got a pretty good stash of most occasion cards, except for sympathy ones. Should do some of that type when not needed specifically, as it's pretty hard to do when you actually need one to send.

Now for the oldie water colors. I think just the old pancake type of color was used for these cards. These were done when we still had a local stamp store, and I think are circa 2005 perhaps.


2nd one has extra petals added over layer 1 for a bit of dimension. I think this was a Penny Black shop stamp -


Used some versa mark stamping, gold embossing on this one, then water coloring.


Probably versa mark again, with a black embossing, then water coloring. The edging around the image was done with a ruler and water coloring as I recall. Anyway, you can laugh if you want. I did when I opened the box and found these. Didn't know I still had them.

Today was a real good rest day. Read a book, had a nap...and leftovers to heat up for supper, so an easy day. Before I get back into my lazy bad habits, I've made a list of some other chores that I've needed to tackle for a while...like cleaning out bookcases, and tossing away a lot of junk...dust collectors. It's a good feeling when you get finished, even if you are tired!!

Ya'll have a good evening, and come back when you can. Big hugs, and thanks for looking in! I missed you guys while I was gone! God Bless.


 

37 comments:

  1. Really gorgeous cards. Love the floral images.
    Valerija xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pretty card to cheer up your friend Mary...super colours,and your water colour images are fabulous.....
    I am laid awake listening to the wind howling round my house from the hurricane.....the tiles are rattling...we brought everything in that we thought may blow away or do any damage,fingers crossed when the light comes up...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE each and every one of these, but then I do love flower cards and colouring them.xx [aNNie]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sunflowers Mary. And you are too hard on yourself with your water colouring. I have never done any water colouring at all. My colouring is bad at the best of times! Take care. Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary, That is a lovely card and will definitely cheer your friend up. Your other cards are lovely as well. I particularly like the first two.

    Luckily I only got the edge of Storm Ophelia. Whilst there are loads of leaves and twigs on the ground, no actual damage in the village. Some places over here have been hit very hard.

    I have been in the sorting out mood for a couple of months now. Only a couple of things left on my list to get done now. Hope you are finished soon and can sit back and feel content.

    Hope you have a lovely day. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mary, you've shown a lovely selection of floral cards, all beautifully designed and coloured. I'm sure your friend will be cheered when she receives hers.
    Ophelia seems to have missed us up here, thankfully as there has been three people killed in Ireland. We have had quite a bit of heavy rain, but no strong winds. I absolutely detest the wind.
    Have a lovely day Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving the bright yellow and blue combination of the first card, and your coloring is beautiful! Love the shine and sparkle of the vase. The older cards are all so pretty, and I own the stamp used on the last one. I should get it out and use it sometime soon! Thanks for the inspiration, and do enjoy your beautiful fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary! What a lovely selection of cards! the watercolours are beautiful and am sure the cheery sunflowers will brighten up your friend's day. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card and great stamp--love your watercolour ones too with the beautiful floral stamps---yesterday was really weird very still and quiet and the sky wasyellow/grey but not clouds-the sky was as red as your cardinal until tea time when sky cleared and sun went back to normal--then wild and windy all night expected quite a lot of damage tbh-then really cold today and sunny-think we just got the tail end of the storm thankfully
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous flowers, Mary! Beautiful coloring. Love the CAS style so the flowers really shine. I need to be cleaning out too. My first area is my crafts. Hoping to get going soon although with the holidays coming that may put a damper on things. Have the twins overnight tonight for the first time so we'll see how that goes. Hope they don;t miss Mom and Dad too much. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sunflower card is lovely and should cheer anyone up. I love the bright colors. You have been a busy lady and it does feel good to get caught up with household chores. Naps are right up there too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This vase of daisies is so pretty - love the orange and blue together. The little butterfly is the perfect addition. Very cheerful card - definitely will brighten up someone's day! These golden oldies look awesome too. Such delicate creations. Great to have you back Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary I don't know why you won't use those gorgeous cards, they look amazing and I love the water colour effect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of your cards and those floral arrangements on them are all wonderfully colored. I think you did an amazing job of the water coloring myself. I am not very great at that either but now and then I still try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all so beautiful, Mary!! The card is gorgeous!! I love the pot of flowers!! All of the water color flowers look so amazing!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely thinking of you card Mary, so bright and cheerful - I'm sure your friend will appreciate the thought.
    Beautiful watercolour cards, pretty flowers and lovely colours.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, as I see it, the only reason your water coloring skills haven't improved is because they were already at a very high level from the start:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must pass on some of your motivation to clean Mary as I badly need it and find this kind of motivation difficult...lol. I love your watercolouring efforts which are really pretty and have character which is what watercolours should have, and the flower stamps are beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mary, love your beautiful floral cards, wonderful images and colours.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the gorgeous warm colours of the sunflower card but the images and the colours of your water coloured cards are just fabulous and using some lovely images, beautiful cards.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  21. The first card looks so pretty with those daisies in the vase and the plaid papers. Great array of water colored cards, they are all so sweet, you are so talented! Love the matching edges done with a ruler and then water colored, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A fabulous bowl of bright, vibrant yellow daisies, Mary ... sure to lift the spirits of your friend! Goodness, those watercolour cards ... what a wonderful find ... they're soft, delicate and the colouring is just lovely! Definitely use them ... anyone would be so happy to receive one of these beauties! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for you getting all those baseboards clean, Mary! Love the cards and I think your watercoloring looks fantastic! Anyone would be delighted to get those cards!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are beautiful cards Mary! The first one, I love the flowers and color combo! The watercolor ones, I love how you colored the pretty flowers!
    Hugs, Sherry x
    Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful card designs Mary and I am sure it will cheer up your friend.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a lovely card for your friends, I am sure it would have cheered them up a lot, a very thoughtful card.

    I think your watercolour cards are beautiful, glad you shared them! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. such pretty cards, love the vibrancy of the flowers!
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your first card is so bright and happy and will sure to brighten your friend's day. Thanks for sharing the other cards that you found tucked away. I think your watercolouring is awesome. These are more of a CAS design, which is not your style now, but still very pretty. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely to see you here again Mary - The first card is really cheerful and must really have a lot of shparkle IRL. I do love that you shared your earlier cards - I don't think the water colouring is all that bad - maybe with a remount and some butterflies and some WoS and the like you may consider sending these :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  30. I always enjoy your cards, Mary. I love the flowers in the pot. Thanks for sharing your older cards. They are classic CAS. The water coloring is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Who are you trying to kid Mary. These are absolutely beautiful. Why have they never been made up into cards I'd like to know. Stick this task at the top of your next to do list ASAP. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your card for your friend is beautiful and the cards from your stash are stunning and anyone would be thrilled to recieve them in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think your card certainly was a cheer up Mary. very lovely. Your watercolour cards I must say you are too hard on yourself they are cas but so lovely I really love them. Hugs Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm sure your beautiful card will help to cheer up your friend Mary. It's always good to know friends are thinking of you when life isn't going so well.

    I like the sound of your dinner. Just up my alley. It's good to have a quick meal sometimes instead of having to bother to cook. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Super card for your friend, Mary, I'm sure she will be delighted to receive it.

    Your watercolour flower cards are beautiful too. What a lovely surprise to find them after all this time. xx

    ReplyDelete