Followers

7/02/2014

Miscellaneous Project & Happy Birthday

Good evening. Today has been a housework day, and when I finish this post, then I'm off to do some visiting. I wanted to share a little project that's been in the works - and since I normally don't do "projects" - this is a bit of a departure from me. This is a vase done with paint and alcohol inks.


 
 
This vase was purchased as a pair colored graphite black. I liked the shape of the vase. So....got sprayed with  bright gold paint. Used alcohol inks in the red shades, to dab red pretty much on all surfaces. Liked the way it turned out. (daughter still has hers black). The vases lived in red & gold sitting in our basement tv room for some years. There's a lot of red pillows & such like in that room because it's rather dark. The red is cheery.
 
While we've been cleaning & decluttering, I removed some 'stuff' from the hearth in our living room/den on the main floor. The white fireplace in that room has smokey blue slate tiles surrounding the opening and covering the hearth. Decided we'd spray one of the vases a hammered silver, use some blue alcohol inks to dab around to dull up the silver. I'm not sure this is the final blue the vase will stay. I'm debating whether to pour a little blue Dylusions ink into a shallow pan, use the dabber felt to darken the blue even more.



While I was taking photos this evening, I bumped into the blue vase and broke a bit off one of the little curly-ques. Think it can be glued back, but if not, it's turned toward the back and nobody but Moi will know it's broken. Thought I'd live with this shade of blue for a few days before deciding to try the Dylusions. I don't know if that ink will work on metals...will have to do some research.

OK...now for yet one more 4th of July card:

 
 
For my international visitors, sorry for all the grunch of 4th of July holiday cards. Did a bunch, got them mailed today (LATE!) so I'll share over the next few days. This one was easy: old pattern paper from stash - stars die cut with a Creatopia star die (think S/Binders makes that, not sure). Everything on this card is bits & pieces (ah, snippets!) and it was the last of the cards that I finished ..Whew!
 
Also added a pretty 4th of July card this evening to the Friends' Cards page too,  if you've time to look.
 
Last, but definitely not least: today was Our Darnell's birthday, so I hope you will take a moment to pop in & wish her a wonderful day. She has a nice graphic on her sidebar - but guess who just now saw it????It has her birthdate and asks "when is yours?". I think that's a great idea, so that those of us who 'know each other' can send some love & good wishes. Darnell is so talented - her blog is always one that makes you smile. She inspired me with the idea to provide links to new followers - except I don't know how to add the pictures! Heck I'm doing good to get the links done properly! I've borrowed lots of other good ideas from Our Darnell, and plan to keep on! (as long as she'll allow it).  And she's always willing to help out with the technical problems. A real Blog Angel!
 

 HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARNELL! 

 
It's been a while since I got over to Pixie's Snippets Playground, soooo....I'm going to take my little snippety holiday card over for Week 131 to see if Parsnip will like it. Maybe he'll let me sneak in with this one.  G'nite and thanks for joining me. Ya'll have a great evening. Hugs



24 comments:

  1. Oh, you've been busy, busy. I like your vase with the alcohol inks....very pretty. Let us know if the Dylusions work.

    Very pretty July 4th card. I didn't make one. Too busy with other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vase is wonderful and so creative! Such a shame you broke a piece off but like you said - only you will know that :) I love love love the card with that big star and patriotic colors, especially the smaller blue one! The ribbon looking much like a flag is the perfect border on the bottom! Great collage card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great 4th of July cards. They look so patriotic and lovely

    The vases are neat! What a great idea!!!
    You will have to keep us posted how the delusions works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you have done to the vases Mary - they are stunning!
    I have been known to display something "best side to London" as my Mum used to say ;-).
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, love what you have done with your vase, and a brilliant card. Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job with the vase, such a shame a piece got broken.

    I think your 4th July projects are fantastic and personally, I think it is fabulous to see such patriotism!

    Totally agree with everything you say about Darnell too!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary

    A fabulous transformation of those vases!

    They look very intricate to work with.

    Fabby card too!

    You have certainly been busy!

    Hope you are having a good week.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LURVE that vase, so clever to upgrade it's colour. Beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Momma Mary, you did a great job with both of the vase makeovers! I would have never thought to use alcohol inks on them. I really love the look it gave each vase! Love the 4th card, such wonderful snippets and ribbon! Make my little ole 4th cards look so sad. lol Yes, I wish I could do all the things that Darnell can do-she is so smart when it comes to the computer!! She did tell me that her birthday was on her sidebar and I thought that was a great idea. It kills me that I visited so often and never saw it. I'm not very observant at all!! lol Have a wonderful day Momma Mary! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love the idea of recolouring the vase to match your decor Mary and it is such a pretty shape too and it has worked well. Love the 4th July card too, prettyand bright, the perfect celebration card. Will pop over to wish Darnell a belated Happy Birthday. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The vases look cool :) You did a fantastic job with it. Yep we'll be doing the decluttering next weekend before company comes in. Just love that card that background paper is so cute and the glittery feel of the card is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How brave of you to change the vase. I love the result so far! Fabulous collaged July 4th card too - very patriotic - love how you did the star.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the shape and design of your vases, especially the red/gold one. I am sure the little piece can be glued back on the blue one, and no-one will be any the wiser. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both your vases look great, Mary!!! ...and your card, too!!!

    Have a lovely day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, look at you branching out in the world! Very pretty lamp and I love the blue you used on this!
    Great 4th of July card too. Great papers. Glad you got some 4th cards mailed because I didn't mail a single one!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous vase! how do you dust it??? So many little nooks and cranny's. What a sweet card for Darnell too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, the vases are so gorgeous!! I love their shapes, designs and colors!! And your 4th card is awesome!! The papers are perfect!! Love the stars!! Patriotic and fabulous!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  18. The vases are gorgeous. I would never think to spray them or daub alcohol inks on them. So clever of you. Love the 4th of July card. I still have one I haven't mailed. I just can't get motivated. *sigh* I had to go order myself that S/B Tranquil Moments die you used yesterday. That one is just too cool (as are the others in that set).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love how you transformed your vases Mary, aren't alcohol inks fun to use! Great 4th of July card too, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely vase Mary and I love the new colour scheme. How clever of you to alter it rather than bin it.
    Happy 4th July to y'all.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy 4th of July to you my little friend - AND I adore your vases (I guess you know that in the UK we pronounce it as vaaaarses - another little difference huh?

    LOVE your card, very patriotic indeed.

    Love and hugs - enjoy the rest of your day!

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! Happy 4th to you and your DH as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely 4th of July card Mary ... hope you had a wonderful day of celebrations!

    LOVE that vase ... and it looks beautiful in both the colors you've done. So much fun to try out our "card making supplies" on other things. Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is one cool vase - gorgeous! Amazing what you can do with card making supplies....

    ReplyDelete