Followers

2/06/2018

Watercolor Valentine

Hi, thanks for surfing in. Another UFO Valentine - from an effort at trying some Gansai water colors and spattering. This background was just brushed on a piece of cardstock handy at the time I felt in the mood to play. I had also been using a pink Dylusions spray mixed with water and white Dylusions spray. Haven't played with those sprays for a bit. Tried again with the spatter stuff. This _should not_ be that difficult a technique, but I tend to get blobs rather than spatters.

 
 
- Brushed red Gansai water color trying to get the ombre look that is so popular. This was not watercolor weight c/s..it didn't pill, but warped a little. Started to toss it, but I've learned to wait, look and think a bit before trashing - usually. The pink spatters got put on later when I was playing with Dylusions spray with another effort and just shook the spray tube around over the surface of this piece. Still thinking "this is just trash anyway". At least I didn't get big blobs this time.
 
Had the white cutout section laying around so started to play with placing that along with the black THoltz twig heart and hmmm....could this become anything? My creative process is not very complicated as you can see! Went through the lace box (which I have tons of lace from when I used to sew)...and just started placing the bits around. We have a large extended family, so I need a few Valentine cards. Figure since I'm their aunt, they will be forgiving if it's not the greatest card in the world. (and people always appreciate your time and your thoughts for them, even if you're not the greatest artist in the world!) That said, I don't deliberately try to do a rubbish card. I've discovered that often when I don't like my results, a kind relative will say they liked it.
 
Added the gold braid since I meant to use the mirror gold for the sentiment (once this got going) and a black glitter heart, snippet from another card. Again, a "get-er done card". (Thanks Lynn...that is a very useful phrase!) Creating something, even if MoJo has wandered off.
 
Thanks for your visit, God Bless and hugs. Hope any who are feeling poorly, are on the mend. 


Edit: a sweet blogger friend just gave me a heads up that this card will fit in with the February Watercolour Challenge ..so off to link up! (thanks Miz B)

31 comments:

  1. Such a combination of embellishments but gosh how it all works together. I love the placement of everything on your card. Happy ?Valentine's. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are our own worst critics Mary-your card is beautiful love the splatters and sketchy heart
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card Mary,it looks great in the water colours,well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so artistic and beautiful, Mary!! I love the details you added and the design!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great mixed media piece Mary and love that red GT ombre effect in the background, and lots of wonderful texture. That heart die is definitely one on my wish list too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, Mary! Your watercolor is so pretty with the lattice die cut and heart atop it! Love the gold foil and braid! It works for the CAS Watercolour challenge if you want to add it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All kinds of neat things on this and it's so beautiful!!! A stunning card Mary. Git 'er up just sums up things sometimes! LOL!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is magnificent, Mary. I love the splatter - it looks great. And that heart is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful combination of color, textures and design! Loving the lace covered with the diecut and gold braid in the mix too, but that scribble heart is wonderful too! Great pops of red and some "love" make this an excellent valentine! Great job on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome mixed media, love the layers of lattice and the wonderful gold heart so pretty. Mary, those splatters look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cool card! I'm glad you didn't trash it and kept working with it. The textured layers look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your little bit here and little bit there freestyle fun Valentine, Mary. I am sure whoever gets your card will love it! TFS and joining us at CAS Watercolour. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful watercolour wash background Mary! Love the combination of elements with the lattice and scribble heart. The black adds a wonderful contrast to the red and white card. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful combination of items in the making of this beautiful card design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! Mary, I don't think anyone has to be kind to say this is beautiful, I love the die cuts, the lace and your water colour splashes. Gorgeous.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mary, Loving the card.

    Hope you have a nice day. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mary,
    what a super valentines card and your design is so on trend and very wonderfully created.
    Love all the super elements used to make this amazing creation and wonderful use of Snippets also.
    That background you have created looks so brilliant.
    Forgot to say in my email still have a tickly cough now and then but nothing as bad as it was.
    Lots of crafty love and bug free hugs from my house to yours. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you combined all these elements and came up with a wonderful card! Just goes to show we should NEVER throw anything away!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely mix of textures and techniques. You came up with a really great card Mary, it all went together really well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Mary, this is such a beautiful mixed media card, full of beautiful colour and wonderful texture - I love it!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that background Momma Mary! The layers you used to build up on that cool background are fabulous, so many textures. This card just really draws the eye right in on all that eye candy! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. A super card Mary, lots of fabulous details - a fabulous mixed media card.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Mary what a wonderful card, fabulous colours and design, love those very contemporary hearts, great textures too Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE this, Mary! I've never see you do this eclectic style before and just love how it looks. I'm fond of this style and struggle with it. How fun to just mess around and it works! And I too get blobs with sprays and gave up a long time ago on those.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thought I'd lost contact with you and found you in my spa m box HAPPY GIRL.
    Love these valentine cards So glad I found you ...........Lis

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great arty card Mary - well done on hanging in there!! Yes, sprays and me don't always go together either - I think I am so clever on the few occasions that i get an even spray!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad you brought this over to CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's a beautiful mixed media card. I love it Mary. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Don't talk so negatively about this card! It's a fabulous mixed media card and I'm glad you didn't throw out the watercolored background! All the elements go so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this one. It feels youthful and contemporary and cool! A not 'too mooshy' kind of card, my cup of tea:)

    ReplyDelete