Followers

6/20/2018

June Twofer Card Challenge - Trees

Hello and welcome. Trying to get a couple of cards finished, posted, etc, so I can enter this month's 2fer Challenge, and the subject this month is Trees. Now I have a lot of tree stamps, so the issue was picking one and trying to think of 2 different ways to use it. I'd been wanting to try this Black Ice technique I've seen around blogland; Father's Day was approaching, so I did get that card done with an old wooden Penny Black stamp. Then tried to think of a different design approach with the same stamp. I'm not very good at thinking out of the box, (and so I didn't!). Still trying to learn how to use the new computer, the software that came on it (Windows 10) and install some of the other software that I use, and hope it was compatible. The way Windows 10 lays out file hierarchy is so different from what I'm used to. I had my files separated by categories in different folders, so I'm hunting for things & it's irritating that I can't find 'em. But I'll learn and get this machine organized like I want it - I hope!  . My guru is to come this afternoon, hook the old pc back up, and hope I can get some things recovered. I cleaned off an external disk drive hoping I can copy a bunch of stuff to the external disk - should be large enough to store all the stuff I want to recover - and then get it transferred to this new pc. The way I had to get the pictures from my camera to the computer was different too, so that took me a while to import these today. So I've been a little busy, and not done much blogging


Here are the 2 tree cards together, and then I'll show them individually.




 
 
The Black Ice technique is demonstrated on quite a few videos, just search on Black Ice. I used a SU Champagne colored metallic (couldn't put my hands on the silver c/s I just got in house). A very inky SU Archival black - also new pad. I tried to be very light handed with the pad, but still got way, way too much ink laid down, so I wiped off a good bit. Still darker than what I wanted, but couldn't get off any more. Dried that with a heat tool on a light heat setting. Then used the Archival black to stamp the PBlack trees. Dried again, wiped with versamark, and then sprinkled clear EP over, heated on a high setting. The results are ok, and don't look as dark IRL, but not nearly so pretty as what I saw on the youtube or on some of the blogs. Next time I will try one of the older Archival pads & hope for better results. Also practice makes better I guess.  Matted with a purple glitter, then a lavender c/s (which looks white in the photo), black mat (which the photo is showing as gray) - then a white card base. The sentiment was embossed on black snippet using a Detail White by Ranger. Mr. said he liked it.

 
 
Used versamark to stamp the tree image 3 times across white c/s, then Brutus Monroe Alabaster to heat emboss. Then sponged - started with the DI Squeezed Lemonade around the trees area;  starting top down, with Distress Inks in Spun Sugar, several of the lighter blue shades. Finished up the ground with one of the lighter DI greens. Wiped off the embossed areas in the treeline.Added some spatters using white acrylic paint. Then dabbed around the grass area with the ink on my fingers. Embossed a white c/s with Brutus Monroe Gilded Gold, and placed on a side fold white card base. Added a few pearls and clear embellies, did the sentiment, and that's it.
 
Off to link up with Darnell's June Twofer Challenge, as it's open until the end of June 24th. I have missed the last several, so I tried to get an entry for this month.
 
Ya'll be cool if it's hot where you live, and God Bless. I'll try to get round to visiting ASAP. Please forgive me that I get so behind...Just two many things going on with blogger aggravation, new computer, trying to find files, stuff that got left off when moved to a new pc...etc  and keeping up on the home front! I'll get there...I hope!!!
 
Hugs & come when you can.
 


30 comments:

  1. Thanks to all of you who take the time to visit and leave a comment. Making a comment right after publishing, hoping that my email will notify me when you visit - Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, Loving both the cards.

    Hope your guru can get your PC sorted. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the comment thing works for you this time, Mary. I am starting to remember to leave myself a comment when I post, but I can NOT seem to remember to check the box, which of course is necessary or it doesn't work! Pffewy! I wish they would fix it! You will get there with Windows 10. It sounds like you are making progress. It is extremely irritating that they get in there and mess with our folders! And the way they upload and file photos is beyond convoluted! Okay, sorry for the rant. All that to say you are not alone!

    Your Twofer designs are fascinating to me today! I have yet to try that black ice technique and admire you for always taking the time to try new things! It views better when you click to enlarge and I'm sure it's quite stunning person so I'm not surprised Joe like it! And your birthday card is just the opposite, which is cool. It is so light and airy! The colors are beautiful against that blue and I love the bling! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #6! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two fabulous cards, Mary, how different the tree image looks when you change the colours in the card. I'm so behind with things this month, I still haven't sorted out a tree die or stamp to use for Darnell's challenge as we seem to have been away more this month than we have been home.

    I've got Windows 10 on my laptop and still trying to work my way around it. I'm sure we'll both get there in the end. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! They are both so artistic and gorgeous, Mary!! I love the black ice technique!! It looks amazing!! The sponged trees are stunning!! Love, love both of these!! So gorgeous!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to try out a new technique Mary and this black ice one has worked really well, and love the soft green trees with the white embossing on the second card too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mary, two fabulous cards and a brilliant technique. I've saved a video by Splitcoast Stampers on this technique, I hope I get around to it. I love your trees, especially the dark dramatic one, both together looks like the positive and negative image.
    I will reply to your email soon, hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always fun to see the difference color makes! I've never heard of the black ice technique and will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, not really sure what I think about the black ice technique, a little bit sombre for me but love the other, yellow and blue card.
    Well done you for having ago at a new technique.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stretching of your pine trees, love the technique you used! Particularly love the second card with its sweet and subtle colours!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like those tree cards and the black ice technique...I am a fan. Went to a friends house to make 4 cards for $15. One of the cards was a birch tree die. It really turned out neat. Need to get that die for sure. Maybe I will put the cards up tonight. We'll see. Like you say, too much going on and I am still working on my gardens at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Check out Darnell's post today - she gives a step-by-step tutorial to get those email notifications again!
    Great pair of cards with those dramatic backgrounds! You really rocked the twofer challenge this round, and I love the tree images you used! Great job! I hope your computer woes will soon be like 2nd nature as you breeze along and learn the new ins and outs of Win10! You can then teach ME :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both great cards I love the trees and the black ice technique gives a brilliant effect-you were braver than me I tried it out on ATC size first lol
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  14. both cards are wonderful. The black ice technique really intrigues, your card is stunning. Love the soft colours of your second card :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of course you will get there Mary - where ever there is :-). great cards, and a pity the camera does not always portray the colours correctly!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two awesome cards Mary! Will have to try the black ice technique!
    Have a great day!
    Marilyn❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Mary, both are just Gorgeous, what incredible results you have achieved. Love the "black ice" result, so different.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cards Mary! Trees are a great subject to work with and both cards are so beautifully different! The black ice technique is very interesting and beautiful. Always fun to try a new technique!
    Hugs,
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have no doubt that you'll get there, Mary. It just takes a while.

    Your black ice technique is amazing. I haven't tried it but it sounds intriguing. The trees are perfect for this technique. I love the row of trees in the sunshine too. Two very different cards using that stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your Black Ice card. It is a fun look and I think it is great for a masculine card. The soft trees are a perfect summer card. Two great cards with one stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what cool cards Momma Mary! The black ice one is so unique and looks like a night time scene. I love it!!! You second on looks completely different as it is a day time scene. I love the sunny day in your tree scene. I love trees, nice shade from them and love to see the breezes coming through the trees. Well done on this challenge Momma Mary. I hope you were able to get things you wanted off the old computer. I know you will have the new one organized in time. I guess I don't do that much, so I'm ok with Win 10. lol But there was a learning curve involved. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Twofer cards are both wonderful. I have been wanting to try the Black Ice too, but so far not getting it done. Never enough time in the day it seems or I get too tired sooner. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love both cards, Mary and congratulations on success with the Black Ice technique! Others have said it's harder than it looks. I really like the cheerful colors of your second card too- so summery. I have that stamp so thanks for the inspiration to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful cards Mary, they are both fabulous but I especially like the first one, such a dramatic design.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have managed to achieve the opposite of designs with this beautiful tree image Mary. Love the darkness and masculine look of the black ice. Honestly, I have watched youtube videos with this technique, but have not seen a card as beautiful as yours. Amazing!

    And I love the contrast of your second card with the soft sponged colours and white embossed trees. The splattered snow is so pretty and actually looks shimmery. Gorgeous design AGAIN! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. You picked a great stamp from your collection for this challenge! I have this one, too, and love it used with the black ice technique and stamped repeatedly (never thought of doing this - thanks for the inspiration)! Two really wonderful designs!
    Thank you for joining us at the Twofer!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous twofer cards, I've been wanting to try the black ice, yours turned out quite well, makes a good masculine card, I like pastel greens and blues on your other card!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Two super style tree cards Mary. I do have Windows 10 installed on my small portable Linx machine but it is certainly not on my learning curve anywhere in the future.!! I refused to have it upgraded onto my main laptop which is still running on windows 7. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Life is throwing me enough curved balls at the minute. Todays ball was the new front door installation.
    Right colour, right glass, right door design but wrong finish. Turns out there are two doors with the same name but different texture finish but the catalogue only shows one finish (the one I want) and no mention at all of the alternative finish which the company took it upon themselves to make the door in and send it to the installers to fit . They (the installers) were not given the option of which door to have when they placed the order so the company now have to make a second door and foot the bill for the first one. I'm not best pleased at the mintute.
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Two great cards Mary. That black one looks really interesting, might be another technique to add to my 'things to try' list! Just need the time to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fabulous technique on the Father's Day card and what a stunning effect. I haven't tried that one before so it's on my to do list now...Thank you. The second card is so beautiful and the sponging of those delicate colours is so pretty. What a contrast of cards and what great use of the tree stamp. Sorry about the continued computer problems...hang on in there x Always learn lots when I pop in, thank you x

    ReplyDelete