Followers

5/26/2013

Birthday

Good morning, and Happy Sunday to you. Thanks for joining me this morning.
I got to attend a fabulous stamp garage sale yesterday, picked up some lovely PSX stamps as well as some retired SU reinkers, for which I've been looking. After my sleepless night on Friday, I had debated whether to check out the sale, as it had been rained out the previous Sat (but I showed up anyway, as I had missed the Rain Date in the notice! More Operator Error). Since I was awake anyway, I got up, got me fit to be see in public and off I went.

I finished this card last night as well as my 2 previous postings. This card is a set I got in a local Dollar Tree...12 note cards for $1.00. I'm always amazed at some of the neat stuff that some of my blog buddies find, and usually I don't score great bargains. I saw this little set, picked it up, put it down, wandered back to it eventually. Decided, "What the heck, only $1. Maybe you can think of something, it's cute". Fast forward a few weeks. Diecut one of the cards, and thought about adding some Flowersoft on the leaves. Now I don't generally have a great deal of success with Flowersoft...for one thing, the glue one is supposed to use, just gives me fits. It's hard for my hand to squeeze the little container hard enough to get out a small dab; plus I have to clean out the applicator (and YES, I DO store it upside down, as recommended! LOL). I finally got a little blob out onto an old cd that I keep on the desk for just such uses...and I spread it around on the different leaves with a toothpick. Added the Flowersoft & a bit of sparkly fine glitter.




 
 I didn't have all that much glue down, but that F/Soft mixture sure did blob up. I may go back & scrape it all off. The butterflies are punched from an experiment with the Dylusions sprays, and are actually the bleed through from the 'real side' - which you can see here  (on the punched trim). I thought the green splatters would look ok with the greens in this card.

The rose border trim was from a snippet also...used one of my oldest & still favorite MS lace punches. Green mat was embossed with a C/bug EF... another snippet.

Sentiment is Elizabeth Craft (has become a great favorite because it cuts & releases so very well).
Paper blossoms were punched from tiny EK Success punches, shaped using the McGill flower shaper tools (and I'm pleased with these as usually my efforts are not so successful). Originally the print had a tiny white flower, and I wanted more pink...so I added my own flowers! There's a little pearl in the center of each flower as well as on the butterflies' bodies.

Aside from the Flowersoft, I quite like this card. I confess to my 'boo-boos', because I regard them as learning curves. I hope it will help someone else that may have similar experiences.  I'm always encouraged when I remember I'm not the only one who messes up. So I'll usually share my 'not-so-goods' with the ones that please me more!

Ya'll have a great afternoon. Come again when you can.
 

8 comments:

jimlynn said...

It's adorable! Great to use the Flower Soft and love the butterfly you added. I never find "deals" either - but every so often - guess we just have to keep looking and think outside the box more. Great find and love your card.
Lynn

Brenda said...

Mary this card is just too cute! I love all the dimension on it, your flower soft turned out perfect. I have a hard time squeezing out their glue too. Your cute 3D flowers look fabulous and love your butterfly! Heck I love everything about this card! And no you are not alone in making mistakes! lol Hugs!

Cathy said...

Very cute card Mary, I love perusing $2 shops for card making things, it's almost a compulsion to have a look if I go past one LOL! Cathy x

Bonnie said...

Awh! This is adorable, Mary! What a sweet find and you used it beautifully!

linda said...

this is so cute!! i always use a toothpick to apply just tiny dots of FS and then use another toothpick to brush away any excess i don't want; aleene's glue also works, but i think you did a great job with it and i love the dimension it adds.
linda

linda said...

this is so cute!! i always use a toothpick to apply just tiny dots of FS and then use another toothpick to brush away any excess i don't want; aleene's glue also works, but i think you did a great job with it and i love the dimension it adds.
linda

scrappymo! said...

What a wonderful job on this adorable card...I think I have seen this set at our local dollar store..
It is fun to look outside the box for cardmaking opportunities, isn't it?

I have the 2 grandkids to plan card making projects for as well as ideas for "girls night evenings" with friends. I think it will not be long before Little Miss C asks if her friend can come over and make cards too...I'm sure it will be this year as she has mentioned several times that her good friend is arty too!

I try to have an ample source of inexpensive projects planned...the dollar store is often a place I go for inspiration for these budget friendly projects.

You scored with these wonderful cards and your finsihed version is a delight!

Mrs A. said...

I love your card . Makes me think of Mrs Puddle Duck and such stories. The illustrations to go with them just like this. Hugs Mrs a.