Hi, and welcome to another Friday Fun Day challenge over at Jo's Scrap Shack. Today the challenge is Anything but a Card, with a Halloween theme, and our sponsor is Bugaboo Digi Stamps. Now I don't scrapbook, am not into making baskets/boxes/treat bags or the like - yes I know I am rather set in my ways! But there you have it...a truth about my character. So what to make? Here's what I came up with, using this really spooky digi, printing it out on plain whiteWalmart GP Brand cardstock.
Let me tell you about this hanger. We got the slate maybe 20+ years ago, and it came off a New England house that was built about 1820 or thereabouts. It belonged to friends whose family owned a farm for generations, and as each generation passed, fewer children were left. These roof slates were attached by 2 holes (where the buttons are fastened); over time, some would be blown off by storms, and had been left lying around the base of the house. Occasionally would get picked up and stacked in an old dairy barn. The last generation's lone survivor(who lived to be 102) allowed us to scrounge in the dairy barn prior to having the barn torn down, and we nabbed a bunch of these slates - which were headed for the dump. Had no idea how they could be used - but they looked interesting. Over the years, we've used them for different things, and I thought this Bugaboo Make It Snappy -Halloween House would look good on a tile hanging by our front door. (Gotta give some credit to DH here...he had the idea first, but he was going to use a big skeleton in his version). The house has now been empty about 5 years, waiting for the estate to be settled, and although it was once a very elegant looking house, it now resembles the spooky house in the image. I've heard rumors that it's haunted, and I, for one, would not spend a night in it!! Alone or otherwise!!
Here's the scoop on the how-to:
- Bugaboo digi printed out, used the orange & red families of Distress Ink, along with some purple to smudge color over the printed digi. Although it had dried well, the black ink still smudged up a bit, but I thought it would be ok for this. It gives a sort of darkish tone to the DI coloring. Went back over the cat, skulls, spider and bats with some black spica pen & that glittered (for a while...more on that!)
Added some Silver Star gel pen to the spider web and fencing. Used some deckle scissors to cut out the image, edged with the DI Purple.
- cleaned the tile with alcohol as well as possible. Blobbed on a coat of Mod Podge glue and let it dry, helping along with a heat gun after a bit. Used Dylusion Black and Orange Zest, added a splash of White Linen. Dried with a heat gun because it puddled quite a lot, and I didn't want to wait for natural drying. Once the tile was quite dry, Mod Podged the back of the digi, placed on the slate tile, started smoothing the glue over the entire surface. I tried to use thin coats, letting it dry between each application. The glue sort of faded the glittery look of the spica & gel pins alas. The tile looked a little plain with just the digi, so I added the Tim Holtz Witch Die - again with the Mod Podge routine. Once all had dried, I added some 3D stickers from a pack.
- the buttons are from my old button box, and were black. I sprayed some Dylusions Orange Zest over these a time or two, but probably should have rough sanded first, because the spray only blobbed up on the button surface. IRL it has a nice splotchy look, but it ain't orange! I threaded some floral wire through the button holes, fed this through the nail holes in the slate tile - secured at the back for hanging. Added the batty-ribbon which is what will show when it's hanging.
We hope you'll take a little visit over at Jo's Scrap Shack, and be inspired to play along with us for the Friday Fun Day Challenge #23, where the very simple rules are listed at Jo's blog. We'd love to see your Halloween spookies.
Thanks for joining me today. Have a super Friday, give a hug to someone who needs it - if you can. A Big Hug to You from Me!