Followers

10/12/2013

Florals

Hello & welcome, thanks for stopping to visit. This is going to be a scheduled post, as I hope to be off on a little junket with some stamp buddies up to Betty's Scrapbook Room in Greensboro, NC - which is about 3 hours north of our home. Some of the few remaining stamp stores in the Carolina areas are having a store hop...so my stamp buddies have planned a caravan. At first, keeping in mind my recent Florida shopping, I was trying to exercise a bit of restraint and declined a sweet invitation. Mentioned the girls' trip to Mr. DH, and he said "Why don't we go along? And get some BBQ". There's restaurant in the same plaza as Betty's store that specializes in turkey bbq. So at the present moment as I type this post, the trip is still a "Go". (but as you know, Life can change your plans...). So here's my card to share today, which was inspired by this card done by Darlene Devries.

- Hero Arts image - Butterfly Flowers - stamped on black cardstock using Memento Wedding White Luxe ink. Colored with Derwent Colorsoft Pencils purchased from Dick Blick when there was a sale featured, and I got free shipping also. I tried coloring using the techniques Darlene shows in her video, then used a Dove Blender to blend the colors (Yep, I need  more practice!) Die cut the image with a Sizzix scallop shape, and used a stylus to emboss around the edges.

- Background created on white c/stock using Impression Obsession Cover a Card CC059 (Spatter) using Colorbox Fluid Chalk in a charcoal color. Next layer was CC127 (Toile) in Fluid Chalk light blue and last stamped Hero Arts cling stamp CG301 Luscious Floral Background in Fluid Chalk Wisteria. Sorry I didn't name the blue - but I forgot to bring that pad upstairs...if need be, I can provide the name! These 3 stamps & 3 different colors made an interesting background for the black image I thought.

- Memory Box Tessatina Border, using a snippet of some dark red c/stock. The same snippet provided the Elizabeth Craft sentiment.

After I photographed this, I saw a little 'blob' on the right hand side of the scallop background. It's not that noticeable on the card IRL. Now that I've seen it though, it's gonna bug me. May have to add a tiny butterfly or perhaps a dragonfly to hide this.

Hope your weekend is off to a super start, that your weather is as lovely as it is in our area, and that perhaps you're doing some fun, relaxing, or just whatever will rejuvenate your inner self. Thanks again for visiting, and always love to read your comments. Hugs

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful card Mary. There is a chill in the air here in Scotland as its approaching our winter. Hugs Rita xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty card. I think you did a good job with it. Enjoy your crafting day and bbq sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think you need any practice at all with those pencils! It's beautiful!!!
    Hope y'all have fun store hopping too!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful :) hope you have a fun time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Georgeous!!! I love the black background and you've colored it beautifully. The bg looks great, too. I don't see the blob but I know what you mean. Things really show up in photos.
    Hope you're in North Carolina doing some buying of craft items and getting some good bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your trip. Love the stark contrast of the flower against the black on this card. I have a nest of dies the same shape (though not Sizzix) and have never used because they never seemed to be right for a card but having seen yours must get them out and put to use Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very pretty card Mary and nice to see you using Derwent pencils. They are made here in the Lake District England where I live, and have been produced there for many years.
    Enjoy your trip, life too short not to!!!
    Years ago I made a couple of trips to stores in North Carolina, one in Wilmington( cannot remember the name unfortunately) Raindrops and Roses and my favourite The Enchanted Cottage. I still have a photograph of myself and the owner Marilyn.
    Hugs, have fun Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary. Your flowers are beautifully colored. I love that you have them on the black ... I have to try that technique. Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out just gorgeous! I love the colors on your flowers!! I hope you're having fun on the stamping caravan, and I'm sure the hubs got his BBQ by now too :) Sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A stunning card, Mary! I love it. Colouring over white ink on black card gives amazing results doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is as beautiful as anything Darlene has done and I am a big admirer of Darlene's work! I don't see any blob. All I see is a gorgeous design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous Mary, love how the colour pops against the black, it looks so rich. Hope you had a fab trip, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete