Followers

9/29/2016

Santa Sleigh with Deer & Trees for Rudolph Day

Good afternoon. Tried very hard this month to get something ready in time for September's Rudy Day, since I missed last month. What is Rudy Day, you ask? Well, it's a challenge more properly called Rudolph Day, that is open from the 25th to the end of each month, and hosted by our sweet Scrappymoi, (Maureen). I happen to like the name "Rudy Day", and it's faster to type!

Did ya'll notice the Seasonal change-over to Fall on the Blog look? Isn't that a fabulous Fall banner with that gorgeous Cardinal? Thanks Loll!  Loll and Bonnie are starting a new challenge ( CAS Watercolour Card Challenge.) You might want to check this link out.

Even though today's card was started earlier this month (with bits & pieces) - still was finishing it up last night. Just too many things going on lately. DH had his 2 navy friends visiting, and then we were gone for a few days. Went to Charleston, SC, so we could tour the USS Yorktown. I'm very happy that these 3 Vets got to be together one more time. Next day, we toured the city of Charleston, very nice to see the old houses. (Hot & humid though, so we were all tuckered at the end of the day. Even though part of the tour was on an a/conditioned bus, we still did a lot of walking). Next day, 5 hour drive to Atlanta to see the Georgia Aquarium (2 hours south of where WE live, and we'd never been!) Worthwhile visit, saw an amazing dolphin show. Back home, and then some local running around. One fella left yesterday to fly home, the other drives back to Massachusetts tomorrow. (Usually he's here at least annually).

OK - on to the card:


- Leaping deer & trees were cut from a piece of corrugated paper (torn from a packing box - so big time snippet!). This paper had caught a lot of overspray and has been on the airbrush/spray table, for a long time! I didn't add any more colors to the crinkles - just found dies and cut the shapes. The glitter trees in the background - also from a snippet piece, think this was a Memory Box border die. Don't remember what companies for the trees and the deer.

- base was started for This card - with sponging on the background, and I got it way too dark for the first card. Thought it could work ok for this one. Added a bit of 'snow' to the horizon line where the glitter trees are placed. Then added the smaller corrugated tree shapes, the leaping deer, then the largest tree. There is shadowing with the tall tree and the deer, but not showing in the photo.

- Decided to add a circle punch glitter moon (snippet), behind an Impression Obsession die of Santa & 8 reindeer. (cut off some of the front deer to fit this card). This black piece was another salvaged snippet.  During the recent closet cleaning efforts, found 3 pretty velvet type boxes, which had held Christmas ornaments. Have no idea why I kept these, but planned to pitch the boxes. The inside had partitions, black velvet textured material (like you find in a box that has held jewelry). Hmmm...could I take this out and use it? So I did. The die was cut to use the velvet side showing on this card. When it went through the Big Shot (and I used the nifty special metal shim so it cut pretty well), the die left 'impressions' on the velvet stuff, so I used the backside of the material...which is a bit glossy.

- Sentiment is from VOS sheet of sticker sentiments, and sponged a bit of DI Broken China on the edges. Pretty easy card to do, should not have taken as long as it did! Lotsa interruptions!!!

I'm skating in at the last minute to enter this card at Rudy Day, so I hope Maureen will still let me sneak in! Please take a look at all the fab cards that have been entered, and you still have til tomorrow night to get something linked up!

Hopefully next week all things will be back to normal. My cleaning efforts are still going on, been working in the stamp area a little bit. Slowly, slowly. Thanks for joining me this afternoon...and big hugs!

39 comments:

  1. Hi Mary what a wonderful card, your dies make the perfect scene, love colours too, magical.
    Sounds like you had a brilliant trip, the dolphin show sounds marvellous, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you and your hubby's navy friends had a good reunion! Life's too short to miss those opportunities! I really like this card with Santa flying in the sky with his reindeer and the deer leaping on the ground! The elements you combined to make this card work so well together, and I love the oversprayed snippets - they work perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the snippets Mary and you have made a beautiful card with them using some of your great Christmas dies. I love the bright colours too. Glad you had a good time with your visitors and did some fun sightseeing. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Mary I meant to say how gorgeous you new Autumnal header is with all those fabulous fall colours, and of course your trademark Cardinal. Fabulous work by Loll! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It takes a long time to clean out a closet and all the boxes so take your time. I'm glad you found some snippets to use and I love this card! First love the blue background. 2nd, love those trees and the colours on them and I love the deer that is the same colour as the trees. Glitter and the Santa with his reindeer just adds that special touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the fun things about Christmas are on this wonderful card! LOVE IT!
    Wish I'd been on that fun trip y'all had.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new fall blog header looks awesome! Such a cool idea to change it for the season! Your card is gorgeous and it caught my eye right away! I love your winter scene! Beautiful die-cuts too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such gorgeous snippets to make up this beautiful card! So much fun. Great jumping deer in the foreground to set off Santa and his sleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your card especially Santa on lis sleigh
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary--sounds like you had a great trip--places we've never been. Lovely scene & I think those trees are IO which I have & love! Your header is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good visit with your hubby's friends. You really got round to tour quite a bit. I agree about hot and muggy in
    Charleston. I thought I would melt when we did the historic houses tour!

    Your card looks so pretty. Love the corrugated trees and the leaping deer. It gives so much texture to your card.

    The Santa and his sleigh has always been a favourite die of mine. They had it in at my local store once and the lady standing beside me snagged it!
    I like the way you added the moon to have them sailing across.

    Thanks for taking part in the September Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an adorable holiday card! I love it!
    Valerija xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always a lovely creation and perfectly chosen colours and elements to catch the eye Mary.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary, Sounds like you have been busy with your visitors.

    Love the card.

    Hope you have a fab Friday. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a busy time you have had Mary - so glad you were able to spend time with friends.
    Your card is wonderful - love the spray booth card that you have used :-) - it's made some wonderful die cuts
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful festive scene Mary and I love all the fabulous texture with the dies. Thanks for joining in the fun over at Rudolph Days xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This masterpiece was definitely worth waiting for, Mary! Love your use of papers and texture in your pretty winter scene. The vertical lines resemble the Aurora Borealis, only inside the shapes rather than the sky! Striking design idea! How nice to have long-time friends visit, and play tourist! Your new blog header is beyond beautiful! I especially like the dimension with the colors and leaves! Hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card Mary! Just love it.
    It made me chuckle to read about the Navy friends and one of them flying home, because I had half an eye on the card at the time, so now I have a mental image of a sailor flying Santa's sleigh! This made my morning, teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mary. Love the new fall banner. One of these days I'll find enough time to update my blog (maybe). And love the Rudy card. So much going on in the card it tough to say which element I like the best. Everything adds a nice touch. Have my FIL visiting this weekend so I'm not sure if I'll get much done. But hopefully I'll find some time to create. Take care. Have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Mary, this is amazing - so many artistic elements! Love the deer and the trees! The moon and the sleigh are just magical. I love how you utilize snipers from other projects. I also love the Fall banner. You know you were in my neck of the woods when you all were in Atlanta - glad you had a great time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds as if you've had a wonderful time. It's always good to be with special friends.

    Wowzer your card is amazing. There's so much of interest to look at. What a gorgeous Christmas scene that is. I particularly like the the trees and deer. The recycled packaging you used just works a treat and Santa with his sleigh looks great in silhouette. A wonderful make. I LOVE it Mary. Hugs, Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous card Mary!! Love the new look on your Header

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mary,
    what a gorgeous Rudolf card.
    I love how you have created that wonderful scene, and all the lovely elements used.
    You always use some really natty items to create those super and lovely backgrounds also.
    Ingenious using the material for Santa's sleigh.
    Love your new Autumnal blog face.
    Where you went with your visitors sounds wonderful.
    Love and biggest hugs from my house to yours.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an incredibly fantastic scene with Santa and his sleigh!! :) Your coloring of the sky with all of the wintry elements is just delightful!! Glad you had a great trip...some things are just more important! :) Enjoy your weekend! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is such a lovely idea for your hubby to meet up with other vets and boy, you have done a lot Mary! You will need to rest up for a bit now!

    I love your leaping deer card, the corrugated paper looks amazing and I just love the beautiful scene you have created, it is a truly gorgeous card! Hope you have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is fabulous, so many awesome elements, the tree and reindeer look like wood and the colors are fabulous, like all the dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job! I like all the different bits and bobs that you put together on this card. I'm sure it is quite textured and fun in real life. Good for you for getting it together in time for Rudy Day even if it was last minute. I just couldn't get up the gumption to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mary, I just love the patterns you created in your die cuts! How gorgeous this is! I also like the wonderful colors you used. Your new header is fabulous! Loll has such a talent for this. I do love how she created dimension in that design! Fantastic warm colors!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely scenery Mary.
    Hugs Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is great!! Fabulous scene with all these bits and recycled pieces ! You know that I love recycled items! :) ! Love the textures, the use of velvet and the glitter paper, and the trees are stunning! santa's sleight looks fabulous in your inked sky! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fantastic design Mary. Love those "overspray" pieces that you've used. xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad you had a good trip and got home safely and in time for a Rudy Day card! Love how you've used the corrugated paper that Santa flying through the air. It won't be long now until he's flying by!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, and I LOVE your Fall header!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your beautiful Fall header and your beautiful card! I love all of the pretty dies you used!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great Christmas iconic scene, Mary! And I am drooling over your beautiful fall banner created by the awesome Loll! How nice that Joe got together with his two buddies and that you all got to do sight-seeing together! You've been busy, busy, busy! Take care now and rest! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  36. SO glad you have been enjoying yourself, this card is Super and the velvet shiny side up, should look quite rich for Santa, I love the texture and the scene effect. Beautifully put together.

    Hope the cleaning is going well, when you have finished, you can come and do mine LOL.
    Hugs
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fabulous scene card you have created Mary! love the flying Santa.
    Love your gorgeous new fall header, the colours and design is stunning!.
    Sounds like you have had a busy time.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well I read the last bit of your post thinking I was missing something then I realised you meant you were doing some local running around--I read it as a local was running around???thought it was some kind of local event lol-no hope for me really!!!Beautiful card and love the sprayed corrugated card die-cuts
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think the lesson we all should learn from this post is to never throw away snippets or items that didn't work for one card, look what these can be turned into! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete