Followers

8/04/2015

Butterfly, Masking and Faux Textured Metal

Good afternoon and warm welcomes.****

Had a lovely phone call this morning from my blog buddy, Brenda over at Inkspired to Stamp. We are planning on meeting at the Stampaway Show in Cincinnati this weekend. Oh what fun...such a pleasure to meet someone that you met in Blogland. Both of us are excited.

Over at HLS CAS for August the challenge is Masking. This weekend I enjoyed a Jennifer McGuire Youtube video that did an interesting (and easy! don't forget the easy part!!!) technique. The link is to Jennifer's blog, but the video is there too. The masking part worked perfectly for the HLS CAS challenge, so off I did go to try this technique. (I love easy, don't you?!)


Had purchased some of the Hero Arts Ombre ink pads, and tried brayering with the blues- and boy, was this stuff hard to clean off the brayer. That effort did not get put on any finished project, so was in the desk clutter. After seeing Jennifer's video, got out the PBlack Swirling wings butterfly and used the brayered cardstock to cut this little critter. (The brayered piece was meant to be a late evening sky scene. Didn't work).

Used blue painters tape to mask off the white cardstock - making sure to remove as much sticky as possible, before attempting to place it on the 'straight edges'. So far so good. Selected DI Mermaid Lagoon and Twisted Citron inks, and a-sponging I did go. Found Perfect Pearls white powder, and dusted it over the very heavy inking. Burnished it off, and Jiminy! It really did shine like metal.

Don't have the Next Level embossing folders Jennifer used, but hunted up a EF pattern that might work. And it would have...except I had the DE-bossed side on the front of the project. However, I was still pleased with the results, and will be doing this technique again. I hope you have time to check out Jennifer's video.

Applied some Viva Décor silver paste to the butterfly and added a few pearls, along with a pearl swirl. Not sure if I'll add a sentiment to this one. I hope you like it!

Will be linked to the HLS August CAS masking challenge. Hope to see you there.

Thanks for joining me, and I hope you will have a wonderful day. Big hugs.

**** Some of you may know my 'other daughter' Brenda over at Friends Craftin' with Friends. She & her sweet husband have been dealing with some serious health issues for a while, and they are in need of your prayers. She has a new post up today;  if you've time, I'd appreciate your making a visit to read her post about the latest CT scan results. If  you should feel so inspired, send up some prayers for them.There is Power in Prayer...and if your beliefs are not of that kind, then Positive Thoughts & support can't hurt either!!! Thank you.

35 comments:

  1. Love this Mary...was just watching Jennifer's video last night! The colours you've chosen are gorgeous together and that's a lovely butterfly die. I certainly wouldn't have noticed the reverse EF if you hadn't mentioned it. Thank you so much for your lovely words on my blog the other day...they mean a lot and I'm so glad I inspire you as you inspire me :) Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colours again Mary and what a spectacular butterfly which looks fabulous against that embossed background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is beautiful. I took on your challenge and made a card just like Jennifer McGuires. Mine was a copy but I love your take on it. I posted mine today too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary,
    what a gorgeous card, and such a wonderful technique.
    Love your super butterfly made with this.
    Super colour choice too.
    I do hope you have a wonderful time at you Stampaway Show.
    Isn't it just lovely to meet up with peeps you meet on the blog.
    Love and biggest hugs from my house to yours.
    Lots of crafty love. Jemmy L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Mary and great masking with fab colours. It doesn't show you used the DE-bossed side of the folder. I think with this pattern it works well both sides. I like this card a lot.
    Big hug, Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous tutorial Mary and thee outcome is gorgeous. Love the embossed card, the blue strips of colour and the butterfly are beautiful.
    Have a lovely week.
    Hugs Sharon. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you are meeting up with you blog friend Brenda!! I hope you both have a lovely time. Having spent the weekend with blog friends in London (seeing Wendy Vecchi) I can confirm how much fun it is - tiring too but fun nonetheless!

    Your card is stunning, I love the embossing and the butterfly is just gorgeous! Beautiful work Mary. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful card Mary and gorgeous colour combo. That large butterfly die is a wonderful centre piece.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous colours and EF.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card Mary, love butterflies and your beautiful debossed embossing, will have to pop back to view the video and see this technique.
    Hugs Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary,Beautiful card-love the colours you have chosen :)
    Nessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Mary, this is stunning! That gorgeous butterfly on the beautiful background! Love it! Have seen the video by Jennifer but haven't had a chance to try it out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny thing . . . I've just finished watching that video and thought, 'I must give that a go'! This is beautiful Mary! I love that butterfly and that pearl trail is just fabulous! TFS. Have a lovely evening! Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really beautiful Mary and I love the graduated colours on the masked panel and the way you have embossed the whole piece. That pretty butterfly on top has been greatly enhanced by the pearl swirl too. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. The card is lovely but mostly I hope you have a wonderful time with blog friends this weekend.......Lis

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fabulous card Mary, I love the beautiful butterfly die you used and the colours are gorgeous.
    I hope you have a lovely time at the stamp show.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous card!! I love the technique you used!! The colors look amazing!! Beautiful butterfly, too!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one GORGEOUS card Mary! I LOVE the colors and that beautiful trail of pearls on the embossed background! Simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! I love this, Mary! I didn't take the time to check out the video. Think I need to go back and look because you've made this technique look like a million bucks! Thanks for the tip about Brenda. I'll go check on her and always have them in my prayers. If I don't "see you" before the weekend, have a great trip and don't spend too much! LOL, I know that's impossible so have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Mary this is a stunner - the soft lines of the butterfly are the perfect foil to the angles of the embossing! Your colours are great too!
    I saw that video, and am itching to have a go but won't get to the studio before Friday... I only have gold pp's, but I am sure I can find something to go with it :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  21. A stunning card - I love the butterfly and the colours you've used are perfect.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super delicious Mary - simply gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry I havent been commenting, but have been so busy with visitors and daughters wedding. Your cards have all been gorgeous. I should be back to normal now, as that's my visitors all gone home now. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great focal point--love the juxtaposition of the butterfly against the background texture. I've had the same thing with HA inks. I've found success using Stazon stamp cleaner to remove it from my stamps.

    Toni
    HLS CAS DT

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, I'm lovin' this one Mary, what a great design, from your embossing, colour choice and that beautiful butterfly, what a beauty!
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gosh, this is lovely, I think I should follow your videos, LOVE the colours and how you have made the butterfly trail, beautiful die and embossing folder too

    ReplyDelete
  27. phew!! catching up at last Mary, another gorgeous card, I love your butterfly and the colours again are so lovely, hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  28. phew!! catching up at last Mary, another gorgeous card, I love your butterfly and the colours again are so lovely, hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow ... love how this turned out Mary. Those two new colours from Tim Holtz have quickly become one of my favourite combos! :) Love the technique. Susan is coming by for a play day on Friday and I think we're going to give this a try. LOVE the beautiful butterfly too ... so pretty with the pearl trail. xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are beautiful colours and a fabulous layout too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I popped over to have a look at that video. And also seeing how your card turned out I realize I HAVE to have Perfect Pearls!! Going to Sweden this weekend to visit hubby's home town and there's a great scrapping store there, so I hope I'll find it there.
    I don't think you should add a sentiment, it looks beautiful as it is now, simply elegant and so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I saw that video too, Mary ... and the technique is now on my list of things to try! You did a beautiful job ... the colour blend is gorgeous, as is the texture ... and what a wonderful shimmery background to that gorgeous butterfly! Thanks for the inspiration! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fabulous technique,love the colours,beautiful butterfly and embossed background
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Simply gorgeous! Love the colours and the butterfly is stunning! Thanks for playing along at Happy Little Stampers ........ Linda xx

    ReplyDelete