Followers

3/09/2014

Butterfly for 3 B's

Hello and welcome to my world on a beautiful balmy spring-like Sunday afternoon. There is a marvelous new Butterfly Challenge and it's still open for 2 more days. The theme is to have 3B's - Butterflies, Buttons & Bows. I wanted to join in, but still have a few St. Pat's cards to finish up. Took a break from St. Pat's, and broke out the Ranger alcohol inks to have a little play. Some time ago, DH had sliced open some soda cans, after seeing some nifty examples of what can be done with dies & thinner metal at a stamp show. Flattened one of the opened cans as much as possible. Collected some bottles of alcohol inks in greens - blue green shades plus the gold, and started to play, being careful of sharp edges.  Here's what resulted:
 (can you believe I'm still thinking Green?)!
New Butterfly Yankee Candle topper
 
Close up
 
 
- Memory Box Delia Butterfly (base butterfly). Alcohol inks - Meadow, Stream, Oregano, Gold & Lettuce. First drops dots of the ink applied directly to soda can metal (?snippet?) in a small area. Spread this around with the TH tool covered in felt*. Let it dry, then moved to another area, until the surface was covered. Once there was a dried base coating, applied small drops of the same inks onto the felt, sponged, pounced & twisted to get the mottled look. Die cut the dried metal into the butterfly shape. Since the metal underside was not colored, didn't lift the wings, but shaped them so they would stay flat to the card.
 
- MB Finn Butterfly die cut using navy blue textured Bazzill snippet, glued to the metal butterfly using Easy Flow glue, just dabbed in spots. Body also from navy blue.
 
- Ranger Gold stickles applied with a toothpick.
 
- S/B Grand Circle smallest die cut from yellow textured snippet; dimensional foam strips to raise up from the S/B large square of turquoise mat. Both of these shapes were embossed to add some dimension to the pieces.
 
- 6x6 card base covered with some VOS patterned paper. Liked the colors & textures with the butterfly - so that's why it was chosen. Since this butterfly is rather large, it needed a 6x6 base, rather than my usual 5.5 x 4.25 card base.
 
- Elizabeth Craft die sentiment from the tiny bit of the colored metal (does it qualify for a snippet designation? Perhaps). Wanted to use a love die, but was too large for the space, and the leftover metal bit was not big enough.
 
- MS large punch for the buttons, also from a snippet bit of the metal. Took a couple of tries to get the punch positioned to punch the shape properly, so that's why the material was not enough for the love sentiment. :-)
 
- Waxed twine bows were colored with a dark turquoise blue copic, threaded through the holes. Pearl trim added over the bow.
*Cut the felt pieces from craft felt - a heavier weight works better. The ones used on this project were of  thinner weight; didn't like their performance as well. Used a quilting rotary cutter to cut  felt strips to size, then cut the strips to fit applicator made from a dowel and block of wood. Very similar to the THoltz blending tool, but I had a bunch of these made, so I'm  not always having to change sponges & felt pads. Works great.
 
This is quite larger than my usual cards. It is going to be for a VSP (very special person) and though the sentiment says "Believe", I'll take care of the "Love" sentiment that I really wanted to use, by the inside verse. This was quite an experimental card for me, and I had fun making it. So thanks, Mrs. A for coming up with this challenge.
 
 
Hope you like this one, and that you'll check out these fun challenges.  Promise you'll see lovely work and meet some friendly people who play. Maybe I'll see ya there. So enjoy your afternoon, come again when you have time, and in the meantime, big Hugs.
 
 
 
 



26 comments:

  1. Hi Mary,
    I am in awe of this very beautiful and stunning creation. Love the colours and your design is just amazing.
    Sounds like lots of work but well worth it.
    I too have seen a lady called Ally use metal drink cans for flowers, on Create ans Craft TV a long while ago.
    So I flatend some ready to use , but still haven't taken the plunge.lol.
    Thank you for reminding me of this.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow, wow! This is amazing Momma Mary! I love that butterfly and can't hardly believe it is from a soda can! Looks like I need to have some family save me a can or two. It amazes me that it is thin enough to be ran through a die. I love, love the colors on this butterfly and the gold really sets off the green colors. Love your buttons and twin and that background is amazing too. Love, love this beautiful and stunning card! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a stunning butterfly Mary! It looks beautiful against your dp too. TFS the tips re the home made felt applicators too. I've got 4 bottles of alcohol ink that I bought a while ago to play with but haven't taken the plunge yet! You've inspired me to have a go! Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, Just one word from me - STUNNING !!! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, Mary, but that's a gorgeous butterfly! I love the greens and blues! WOWZA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an aweful lot of work, but it sure is pretty!
    I like the greens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never used the metal but I can imagine it would be a fun thing to try. Your butterfly is gorgeous. I like your metal buttons, too. A button punch would be so much easier to use than the button dies I have. That's a very pretty Yankee candle topper with the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing butterfly Mary ... wow! Beautiful colors ... the gold adds a nice bit of sparkle. Have never tried playing with alcohol inks so guess I now have some things to add to my shopping list :) Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely gorgeous!! The butterfly looks amazing!! The colors and design are fabulous!! What a beautiful card!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea about the felt pads/TH looking blending tool!

    Your card - OMGoodness!!! Outstanding! It looks like a mosaic wall hanging. So very beautiful!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me Oh My! This is one gorgeous butterfly and sounds like you had such fun creating it. I adore the colours used. That's it from now on The Doc has to start drinking his beer in a can!! Thank you for fluttering by #2. hugs Mrs A. (butterfly challenge).

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty Mary, and I must admit I have never tried using a can to die cut with but you certainly did it really well. The colours are so lovely and the gold stickles give it lovely sparkle. Great idea to use some of the metal for the buttons with the twine bows on the top. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That mosaic background is gorgeous, and I love the colors on this one! Absolutely stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Working with metal must be really challenging! But you've come up with a beautiful creation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowza!! What a stunning card Mary - love that you (bravely) used a soda can so brilliantly. GORGEOUS result and thanks for explaining how you did it!

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your butterfly is stunning - your artistry astounds! The design and colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute card and cool take on St Patty's Day :) The color is absolutely gorgeous and so unique

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary, this is so cool. Love that Butterfly. Thanks for sharing this idea with us, will add to my things to try for sure. Lovely!

    Hugs
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty way of using all those products in creating your masterpiece, Mary! Lovely! I especially like the use of the alcohol inks - beautiful colors! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous greens, love the butterfly and what a fab way to upcycle a coke can! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary, this is gorgeous. I love the colors you used and the bows are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love working with soda cans they are so easy to work with, I LOVE what you have done with your can, it's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fancy fun card! The soothing greens are lovely for your fancy butterfly, plus I think you were influenced by your St. Pat's cards.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woohoo . . .this is FANTASTIC Mary xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is wonderful Mary. I did the alcohol on metal technique for a card once, but I was worried about damaging the cutting edge of my die. But this has all worked so well. I am enjoying the new butterfly challenge too. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this beautiful butterfly card Mary. The alcohol colours you used look great with the gold Stickles highlights. I'm sorry I didn't get to comment on this sooner but my computer keeps coming up with pages not responding which is very frustrating when trying to comment.
    Anyway it seems to be working tonight, for the time being at least.thank you for your visits to my blog and for your kind and friendly comments.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete