Followers

3/19/2014

Penny Black - Blooming Garden

Good afternoon - welcome! Today there are several cards to share...so let's get to it.


- image is PBlack Blooming Garden (Transparent stamps). Stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black, die cut with the matching PB die, 51-030 (Field of Dreams). Colored with copics. Flowers on dimensional foam, stems glued down.

- Background is Anna Griffin Poppy EF, sponged with DI Scattered Straw, Shabby Shutters, and Marigold, very lightly - with the TH sponging tool after embossing.

- Impression Obsession grass die DI096-D.

- M.Box lady bug die - using white c/s, colored with copics.

- Natural color twine was colored with a copic green. Didn't like the bow, so put the ladybug on it instead.

While deciding whether I liked the way the flowers had turned out, (also had misplaced the image momentarily)..diecut a 2nd flower. This time did the die cut first, then stamping. Colored with the same copic colors.  Decided I would use the negative and try to sponge, see how that looked.


- small snippet of white cardstock trimmed to form a square base. Used a slightly smaller square piece of packaging acetate to form a center mask. Sponged DI Scattered straw around the edges to form a frame.(used small piece of removable double side tape in the center of the acetate to try to hold it firmly in place).  Then embossed using the Poppy EF. Sponged through the negative flower stencil, using DI Scattered Straw, Marigold and Shabby Shutters. Wasn't sure that I really liked this; then I saw on a PBlack post where someone else had done this same technique using the red family. That one looked good to me, so decided I would keep my yellow effort!!! Some yellow cotton ribbon added for trim.  Popped this piece on dimensional foam, adhered to the framed card base.


This is the cardstock negative used for the stenciling. Did not tape it down, just held it firmly. It's lightweight c/s, so I  had to be gentle with the sponging. Taping down is a good idea. I was just experimenting to see what would result, so wasn't particularly careful- just sponging colors in the spaces to see the effects.

I've been seeing so many pretty watercolor cards done lately. The stamp was still needed  to be cleaned, so I hunted up the THoltz DI watercolor markers. Using the same Distress Ink marker colors as in the sponging effort, I colored directly onto the stamp, spritzed it, and stamped on 140wt watercolor paper.


Not totally delighted with the effect, but decided it was ok (all the folks who have done such pretty w/color cards always advise: "It won't be perfect".) So was trying not to be too obsessive with it.

First time, I spritzed the paper, then the stamp. My spritzing tends to be too heavy, and that experiment was just too runny for me. (It's on the opposite side of this stamping). Flipped the paper over, re-inked the stamp with markers, held it further away to spritz, and stamped on the dry surface of the paper. Liked this effect better. Used a water brush to pull the color around. It's a filled water brush; dried the bristles with a paper towel after wetting the 'non-inked' area in each flower just a bit. Then touching a drier brush into the wet space of the flower, moved towards the inked area and back out. After this dried - went back over some lines with the fine point marker nib. Smoothed those lines again with a barely damp water brush. Background was done by dabbing DI Tumbled Glass onto an acrylic block, wetting that and using the water brush to dab some lines along the flower stems. Wet the non colored background areas (in small segments), and pulled from the white into the color and back out again. Let the paper dry overnight. Die cut with S/B Label 11. (Thanks to Miss Bonnie for her inspiration water color card earlier in the week)

- card front die cut with a smaller size of Label 11 to create the window. Paper was textured Bazzill. MS lacey punch for the trim, scor buddy and some tiny pearls to trim. (There are 2 scored lines at the card bottom, but it doesn't show in the photo.)

That's it - 3 different ways to use this pretty stamp & die. I need a lot more work on the water color front. It's a technique that does not come easy to me at all! Hope you enjoy these cards.

I was very entertained by reading all the comments received on the clothes line post. It was so interesting to read that some of you have specific color clothes pins for specific clothing. And that you group certain items together. We just had plain old wooden pins (and I can remember when the pins were 'pegs' too!), and some things were hung together. Sheets, pillowcases, towels, but I don't think we hung by colors or anything of that sort. I'm so glad the post brought back some happy memories for you. It did for me as well. Come again when you have time to visit. Love to read your thoughts on what I'm posting. Always enjoy suggestions and  ideas for improvement too! In the meantime, have a wonderful afternoon, and Hugs.


46 comments:

  1. I love this beautiful poppy image and all the ways you've used it! The first one with the embossed and sponged background is breathtaking! The stenciling is soft and sweet and your watercolor is beautiful too! It doesn't look like you need more practice! Love all this bright, happy yellow! It's been dreary here for several days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These " same but different" cards are fabulous Mary. It's hard to believe that it's the same stamp...they are all beautiful!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, happy, yellow spring-time cards! I couldn't believe you cut that first one out, those stems are so smalll! Then I see it was a die and I can't fathom how you got it lined up so well. The card is so elegant. I like your sponged effort as well. That card has such a neat feel. The watercolored one is nice too with its yellow on yellow card. All great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool makes, as always

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh Mary gorgeous cards! everyone a gem...your last post was so good about the clothes line lol I do peg things out a certain way too hahaha huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mary, your cards are all beautiful and stunning, definately the same but different. I am amazed by just using one stamp how different they can be , and your sponging is fabulous.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary this is beautiful, bright and sunny, I love it

    Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mary! How fabulous your cards are! GORGEOUS! It's hard to know which one I like most. Scrolling down, I just kept thinking, "How Pretty!", and then "How Beautiful" and more "How interesting and clever!". Love these designs. I hope you make a tab for your tutorials, and include this one for negative die cuts, or for sponging with stencils, because that card is exquisite. I can't say which is my favorite, because they are all so wonderful, and you even used the same bright, happy, cheerful colors! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a fabulous job with your poppy on each of the cards, Mary. Love the sponging and the coloring is awesome in those wonderful colors. Looking like Spring...and will be tomorrow. Yea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Mary! These cards are beautiful, amazing how many looks from the same basic materials. Love your watercoloring too. I'm dabbling in this area too at the moment, it's a lot of fun, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowzers Mary this is beyond beautiful! You have done a fantastic job with the stencilling I'm so impressed! I would of smudged it all, such a beautiful card :)
    I hope your having a lovely week great card I adore it!
    Hugs
    Vic x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary these are just fabulous, love each and everyone of them, fabulous colour choice, I may just have to have that stamp.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Three very different cards and ALL are gorgeous!!!!!!! Love the flowers and now I know Spring is finally here!
    Lovely.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Three beautiful cards Mary. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous cards Mary and how different they all are - lovely to see the same stamp/die used more than once. - thought of you today when my washing was on the line as we have had a really good drying day l filled the line twice. Take care x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, Mary, all three cards are absolutely fabulous!! I love each technique you used!! You have showcased the beautiful stamp three completely different yet stunning ways!! I don't even have a favorite because they are all so gorgeous!! You are amazing!! Love, love these!! I hope you are having a wonderful day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Just love these. Glad you stuck to the yellow pallete it made an interesting change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. All three are good but the 3rd one is really gorgeous. You did a fantastic job of water coloring! This looks so professional. I hope you enjoyed doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Just love these. Glad you stuck to the yellow pallete it made an interesting change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. All three cards are beautiful in their own way Mary, and it just shows what a variety of effects can be achieved with one stamp, and a lovely PB stamp too. The first is a precise version with the lovely colouring and then die cutting, and gorgeous Anna Griffin EF which you have inked beautifully. The second is much more free, and the stamping through the die cut shape has been achieved really well with that lovely shading, and finished with a pretty ribbon. The third one has much stronger colour which looks great, but if the effect you wanted was a little gentler and more mixed together then possibly either spritzing the paper just a little or adding just a little bit more water to the stamp would have done that, but personally I think it is lovely as it is. Frankly all watercolouring is mainly trial and error, and the beauty of it is that each time will always be a bit different. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are all such pretty cards, and I love the yellow colors that indicate warmth! The background on the first is just gorgeous with the sponging, and I love the card with the simple beautifully colored blooms and pretty ribbon! Well done on all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What GORGEOUS cards Mary!!! Ooh...those yellow just warms me up staring at it. Its cold and rainy here in Jacksonville. I hope you have a better weather there. Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are all lovely cards. My favorite is the first one. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Momma Mary, these cards are stunning! I am in love with them all and love the look of all the flowers. The poppy flowers looks so pretty with the embossing folder on the first card and you have those flowers colored perfectly! Then the water color effect you got from using the negative from the flowers just blows me away. I don't think you need anymore practicing. lol You are quite good at it in my eyes. And I'm glad you didn't keep stressing over how it looks, because they look perfect to these eyes! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, you have been a busy lady! I love all the different techniques, but my favorite is number two - love the delicate, soft shading there! I love when you can have a stamping "session" and create several cards at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow ....you used that stamp so beautifully and great idea to stencil with the other....

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think all three of your cards looks great

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful cards Mary so ready for spring and it's nice to see bright colors, The sponging looks great, will need to learn this technique :) The water color is gorgeous too :) Hugs, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I'm loving the bright yellows with the green on all these cards, Mary!! They are all beautiful, but I think the first one is my fav!!! Wonderful on doing watercolour thing , hey!! Love your sponging, too!!
    Great cards!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mary these cards are beautiful, they might be the same image but are so different. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous cheery designs ! Love the bright yellow and the different artsy techniques with the flowers. Have a great day, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my Mary - your cards are delightful! My favorite is the sponging with the negative - now that is what I call damn-fam-slam-tastic!! Love it -- I am going to have to get the die so I can do that!!
    Pretty sunny day - I guess it is swimming weather in your neck of the woods - I think more cold weather is coming in next week.
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your coloring is really good. Love what you have done with the cards. Right on Mary. All I need is pom-poms and 30 years off my age and I would do a cheer. LOL. That would certainly be a trip to the ER. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mary, Mary, Mary, I'm over the moon in love with this card! Thank you for the whole how-to, I love each part of the process! Just a stunning work of art!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  35. gorgeous image and love the embossed background-love the fabulous card wher you used the negative to sponge through
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love all your pretty yellow cards Mary,It's interesting to see what different effects can be achieved with one stamp.I love the PB flower stamps and I like the idea of having the cutting dies to go with them, I haven't got any of those yet. I think I like the second one best as I tend to lean towards the more subtle colours.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful cards Mary. Love that you've tried different techniques with each one ... so creative and the designs are fabulous. Really want to get into more watercoloring like you and Bonnie ... just need to find the time :) Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Mary the techniques you used on these cards are stunning! I love the colours they are so rich and vibrant. I hope that you have been well.
    Hugs
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my! What a stunner, Mary. I really can't find anything wrong with it. It is beautiful as is.... so stop obsessing, girl! Simply cannot choose which I like best... all 3 are special, each in it's own way. You've done a great job here. Pat on the back, my friend!
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love them all - your techniques are wonderful. You are so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow Mary fabulous ideas and techniques.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beutiful spring cards - I love your inking techniques.
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  43. A trio of wonderful card from that lovely stamp. Wqick comments today as I am visiting about whilst I wait for an update on my Mum. She passed out at home today and was ambulanced to hispital with a suspected stroke.
    it never rains but it pours...

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have missed so many beautiful creations Mary and these are so very gorgeous! I love the stamped image and using the die cut to make a mask is genius! You have reminded me of an old original Sizzix die that I own - a rose - will have to try this one! TFS Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Mary these are some gorgeous cards! I love that stamp, so lovely and pretty! TFS!
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  46. These are lovely Mary, especially in the golden tones you chose. I really like the embossed background behind the first poppies too.
    Heather T

    ReplyDelete