Followers

2/05/2016

St Patrick's Day Hat

Good afternoon, and TGIF. Hope the weather is not too awful where you may be in the world. We've had a quiet week - and I had a fun afternoon out with a local stamp friend, whom I'd not seen for a while. Followed by a nice lunch which was also very pleasant.

I've been trying to color a few St. Paddy's day images along with the Valentines. Also saw a pretty background here. Since I know that Carol does lovely quilt backgrounds & patterns, I asked if this was one of her efforts or just design paper (it was DP), and she kindly sent me links for a bargello technique. I tried - and dang, was it difficult. I used a sheet of double adhesive paper, cut various sized strips of papers, and went to work. You know how hard it is to apply a skinny strip of paper to sticky paper & get it on straight? (and I've done Seminole quilt piecing with fabric and it's much easier). Well, I finally got a background, but mine sure didn't look like it ought to. After all the work involved (not to mention some discouraging words uttered) I wasn't gonna toss it. So it became the background for this card, and in looking at the photo, I realize just how well I've covered it up too!


- Whipper Snapper Cling St. Pat's Hat image (CU039) colored with copics. Don't remember which die set this came from (and I also have to hunt through the magnet art bins to find the sheet where it needs to be  re-homed). I think it's a S/Binder die, but not sure. Another S/B die cut the green mat behind the image, and the S/B Lattice die was cut from white, snipped in half, to make the bottom mat layer. A S/B Shapeability Die, Gold Elements cut the bottom mat layer - 2 pieces to make a square base. All this adhered to the bargello pattern created paper.

- Sentiment stamped on torn vellum with DI Mowed Lawn, heat embossed with clear detail powder (and it still doesn't show up well).

- 2 Impression Obsession shamrocks from green snippet added on the torn vellum - to cover up the glue dots used to adhere.

Here's the paper piece. Doesn't look at all like I wanted, but a lotta work involved in it. Will have to revisit the tutorials, and perhaps I didn't use patterns & colors with a strong enough contrast. Or maybe I shouldn't have made the 2nd cut strips different sizes...I don't know. I tried to cross stitch a bargello pattern long years ago. Couldn't get that right either!!! LOL.

Have a great day. Thanks for dropping in. Hugs

31 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Mary!! I love the St. Patty's Day image!! You colored it perfectly!! The layered dies look amazing!! I think the paper piece looks gorgeous!! I love the pattern you achieved!! Have a great weekend my friend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made a bargello pattern and think it's difficult, but I see that your is just wonderful!! Love it so much!! I wouldn't change anything, in my opinion it's amazing this way!!! Fab colours and mix of dp!!
    You have covered it so much in the card, it's a shame that it isn't more visible. However, the image is pretty, and love the frames and the vellum stripe with the shamrocks
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely Mary - so fun to see my first glimpse of St. Patty's!! Glorious creating! j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Mary, that does sound like a lot of work. great green card though. Hugs, Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great creation and love the shade of green on the lovely image, fab background too.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That worked out well Good job Mary >>Lis

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen Carol's before and always wanted to try it, but it looks way too hard for my brain!
    I love your card though and all the wonderful greens in it. I haven't even thought about St. Paddy's day yet!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very pretty St Patrick's Day card Mary and the bargello background looks great and you have lined the pieces up perfectly. I love the focal image with the hat and shamrocks in those pretty shades of green and the die cut mats show it off so beautifully, and the vellum with the glittery green shamrocks either side of the sentiment is the perfect finishing touch x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it all came out great Mary. Your Bargello background is wonderful and I love all the greens. Totally perfect for St. Patrick's Day celebration. Great coloring on the image too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a totally not easy technique! And good that you just used it for your lovely ST. Patricks day card! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shiver me shamrocks - is it almost St. Patrick's day already? I'm loving all the green and lacy die cuts on this Irish beauty! As for the borgello panel, I think it turned out just fine, and I do like the colors! I've never attempted to do different widths, but seeing how this turned out, I may have to try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful St. Patrick's Day card, Mary. A lovely, beautifully coloured image. Your Bargello work looks great, I can see a lot of work went into it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary, Lovely card. I like the paper.

    Hope you have a nice weekend. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Mary that patchwork effect is absolutely gorgeous and must have taken you ages, well worth the effort though. A great card I was wondering when the green creations were going to appear!! This is fantastic!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary what a lovely St.patricks day card the greens look great!! Lovely colouring too :)
    Hugs
    Vic xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful created design, how awesome is that borgello panel and with super colours chosen. love this Mary..xx
    {aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the green hat Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the pieced card front you made Mary. I think it would have been great if you let more of it show through. I can only imagine how much work that was to make ... it looks very time consuming. But think you did a wonderful job. You are too hard on yourself! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Darling St. Patrick's card, Mary, and so beautifully (and fun-ly) colored. I realize that is not a real word, but we can pretend, right? LOL Your background is lovely! Beautiful colors, patterns and a wonderful way of using the paper pieces! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a fabulous job of that background Mary, love the patten and colours, shame to cover it up.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous card and background, that took lots of patience, but time in our craft areas is time well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done on persevering with this card Mary - a great result.
    The bargello that I have done I used strips rather that squares, and the edge was stepped top and bottom, but all the strips were the same length to start with.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your card looks lovely, Mary and you've done a great job with the wonderful bg you created!!!! Love your layering of the wonderful die cuts and the hat is so pretty and your colouring is great!!! What a gorgeous St P Day card!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Faith and Begorrah - I can't believe you are making St.Patrick's Day cards and I am still on Christmas! Fancy design and your coloring? Outstanding!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW you have done a lot of weaving with the paper, so glad you took a picture of it before it went onto the card. Great image and frames, love the vellum sentiment too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you got all these pieces remarkably well. Pretty papers too! Love that Leprechaun hat! Colored beautifully! Wish I could work those Copics like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Even though you may not like your pattern piece you made, I find it beautiful! I love how you did the pattern and am a little sad you can't really see much of it on your card. But...the card is just beautiful! I love that image and love how you have colored the hat and shamrocks. The mats look s pretty, love ornate mats that you use. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  28. That paper quilting/bargello stuff looks so cool but not so easy to recreate (unless you are Carol, methinks). I think your background piece is quite cool though. Your card is fabulous and yes, I did notice you covered up all the quilty bits on it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your card looks great as it is, but kind of sorry you covered that Bargello technique background up, because it looks just fine to me. I like the homemade and rustic feel of it, I think that's part of the charm. I've only tried this technique once, but I used liquid glue and pieced the papers onto normal copy paper, you can then move the pieces if you don't stick them right immediately. Just a little tip, hope it's helpful:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fun creations! Love all the green and fun techniques you are trying. We were both channeling ST Pat's day hats - I did a card with one too. Very fun! Hugz

    ReplyDelete