Followers

3/11/2018

CAS Christmas Challenge March 2018 - Holly

Good afternoon...and welcome. Still having a problem with comment notification not showing up in my email, so have been checking the comments awaiting moderation on the settings menu. Even after I publish them from that area, some comments are still not appearing on the blog. I've tried many suggestions, but so far it's not changing anything. One blogger let me know she's had the same problem. Will try not to miss visiting you, but please forgive me if I miss returning a visit.
******************* 

There's a new CAS Christmas Challenge being hosted by my good friends Bonnie and Loll.  I've been trying to come up with an idea so that I could play along. I've got a couple more things in process, but decided to share this card today.


After seeing this video by Jennifer McGuire I decided to try Distress Oxide Water Painting.  I need some more practice with this -- perhaps try different stamps, but it was rather fun on this first effort. I did use the Misti to place the stamp around the edges of a die cut that had been masked on all 4 sides to create a border. Inked with Versamark, then used EP, and started applying the DOX. Dry embossed the card base.



Another thought I've had, is that using the darker colors of the inks yields a better result. I've got all the DOX greens that are currently out (I think!) but the shades I used don't allow the water painting to be as obvious as in the video. Still, it was quite fun. On the berries, I finally decided to just dab the brush onto the ink pad itself, rather than onto some spread on a craft mat. This got the berries to be a little more visible. I'll keep trying this technique.



So c'mon and join me over at CAS Christmas Card Challenge for March 2018 - Holly!

Thanks for joining me today, and have a wonderful afternoon. Hope all my USA friends remembered to change your clocks...Spring Forward! Hugs

- Shades of Distress Oxide Green & light blue inks
- SU Holly Berry Happiness
- S/B Scored & Pierced Rectangles
- PBlack Winter Whites & Greens (sentiment)
- Altenew Antique Silver EP

31 comments:

  1. Love this card Momma Mary! I want to try this technique out too. I think you got great results and I love how your card came out. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done brilliantly with this technique Mary. The shades of green are gorgeous and the pop of red on the berries perfect x Sorry to hear you've not solved the commenting problem...I genuinely thought if you picked them up from comments awaiting moderation then that should have worked x Technology is a mystery x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty card with all that fun holly! Love that your did that technique too. I haven't attempted it yet. Love your card and the way it's all framed out.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all want to be Jennifer after seeing her videos, and you picked up the technique quite well with this pretty card! Love the depth of color and how pretty it looks with the holly and berries. With the comments, if I click publish in the waiting for moderation category of comments, it sends me an email where I have to again publish them to be seen. I don't know why some comments come into my email and others need a 2nd step by publishing in my awaiting moderation comments, but so far they all publish. I just have a feeling that those who leave comments via smart phones wind up in a different moderation spot than having them directly coming to email. NOt sure if I'm on target with that thought but it's just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is so pretty, I have tried this technique too, and very happy with the result

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous card Mary, and stunning background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A super Christmas card Mary, a lovely background.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great CAS Christmas card love the frame and fabulous oxide background
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fabulous frames and the gorgeous background, the single sprig of holly really stands out with the red berries.

    Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely vibrant shades of green, Mary!! The berries really pop out! I have never tried Jennifer's technique you said.
    Sorry that you haven't yet solved commenting problems!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful CAS card, Mary, your inky background is gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty card, Mary! Love the holly designs!
    You have me curious about your comment issue, so I will check back and see if this gets posted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd like to try this too, Mary! Love the pretty green background and the little holly with the red berries! Thanks for sharing this with us at CAS Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, Mary!! I love the green background and the way you've framed the holly!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Jennifer's video too, and I've been wanting to try it. And you did beautifully! The shades of the green and light blue are so pretty, Mary! I love that you arranged the heat-embossed holly leaves around the rims, and you added a nice dry embossed frame! Thank you so much for sharing this at CAS Christmas. Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Magical background colours Mary, beautiful Holly too.xx 💖 [Aussie aNNie's Blog]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great use of the technique Mary and a pretty and delicate card
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have yet to invest in the Oxide Inks but I think I am going to have to take the plunge. Your card is gorgeous and Jennifer never disappoints in her fun techniques. Just wish my cards looked as good as her's do. LOL! As usual I am behind in commenting but I didn't take my computer with me this weekend to Boston. Just time with the boys and getting ready for the wedding in May. I met a lot of the bride's family at the bridal shower so we are now looking forward to the wedding. Have a super fun week. Mine is not too busy so I am hoping for some crafty time. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful card Mary, I love the colors and background! I do something similar to this with watercolors.
    Thank you so much for your heartfelt comment about my Dad, it really means a lot to me.
    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  20. This came out so pretty. I've seen that video and would like to try it too. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with comments. It's wonderful when it works but a pain when it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card, Mary! I find Jennifer McGuire very inspiring as well! You did an awesome job with this technique! Hope to try it myself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mary, Lovely card.

    Hope you can get your comments problem sorted.

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. A beautiful CAS card design. Gorgeous colors and I love the way you showcased the focal image holly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like you had success right away with this technique, Mary. I would like to give this a try too! :) Beautiful colours ... love the holly border! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is SO beautiful, Mary! Love that background and the wonderful shade of green you chose! I will have to check out that technique because it does look like fun. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely card Mary. I really like the embossing to make a frame on the card blank.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous effect with the DOX inks, I've tried it with Distress but not the oxide. Love the soft colours and the bleaching effect of the water. thanks for playing along with us at CAS Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I saw this technique by Jennifer McGuire on her blog recently too Mary, and I think you have done it beautifully. The green is so rich and vibrant and the holly round the edges frames it all so prettily and makes you focus in on the main holly image in the middle. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gosh mary what a wonderful result you have achieved, such a lovely card.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great job with the technique. I have yet to give this technique a try. Your background is so pretty and the red berries pop so nicely against it. Thank you for joining us at CAS Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love that beautiful panel Mary and that embossed frame sets it off perfectly my friend! Luv & Hugs. Hazel xx
    My Card Attic

    ReplyDelete