Followers

3/02/2018

Thank You Flower

Happy Friday & Welcome. We have glorious warm sunshine today, after a couple dreary rainy days. Sky is the beautiful blue our area calls Carolina Blue - and I'm not seeing any white clouds floating about. Always a good recipe for a happy weekend in my opinion.

We have a friend in Massachusetts who was born deaf, and didn't learn speech because of her deafness. Her Mom was a nurse & was exposed to measles in her 1st trimester of pregnancy. It was only when the baby was quite a few months old, that she suspected the baby didn't appear to hear. Many medical consultations, and years later, our young friend was enrolled in the American School for the Deaf. There was no school close in the area of Massachusetts where our friends lived, so every Sunday night, her Mama drove 90 miles down to Hartford Connecticut to take her child to school. Repeated the drive on Friday evening to bring her home for the weekend. This was the routine for 12 years of schooling. Over the years, other children were born, so Mom had an impossibly full schedule to care for ALL of her family. Mom learned sign language along with her daughter, but as she grew up, they developed their own shorthand signs to speak with each other. I never got the slightest intimation that Mom ever felt life was unfair, she just accepted what was, and got on with things. In my book, I think she's the closest person to a Saint I'll ever know. All of her kids and her siblings would heartily agree with me. I was blessed to have known her. I've also been in awe of Kathy, ever since I first got to know her...as she lets nothing stop her from doing anything she's ever wanted to do.

Now our handicapped friend has retired from work, she's started to develop a new career. She began going to the local Senior Center, and has learned to paint. No lessons, just pick up a brush and go. She's amazing. On our last visit to Massachusetts, she kindly gifted us with 2 of her paintings. She knows I love the white birches that grow so plentifully up in New England, but are not in our area of the country. So one scene was of white birches in the spring. Another was of beautiful yellow tulips against a deep purple-blue background. We went off and forgot to pack them, which made me feel badly (as well as major ungrateful!) When our BFF was here recently - it's his niece that is the artist - he brought them along. I wanted to send Kathy a thank you card for these paintings.

 
 
The image was inked with versamark, heat embossed with white EP, sponged with DOX in Lemonade right in the center. Then sponged over the entire area with Broken China. I was trying for a sort of 'glow' around the center. The outer corners had some extra Broken China sponged. Used Bristol Smooth Vellum cardstock, die cut with a stitched die.
 
Black snippet was embossed with SNS Opaque Detail White, after die cutting the shape with a tag die. The focal image has fun foam behind it, and the outside edge of the tag sentiment is raised up with 2 layers of dimensional tape so as to make it level with the flower.
 
Dry embossed the stitched framing around the focal image. I hope Kathy and you like it! I was rather pleased with it, myself.

Here's a beautiful sunset we had last night after the rain subsided. It was just awesome.



Thanks for stopping by. Sending hugs and many wishes that you will have a super weekend, and if you're where that intense cold is about you, stay warm and safe.


33 comments:

  1. A beautiful card Mary, such a lovely background and elegant design.
    We have had snow here again today - very unusual for us!
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous card to say a heartfelt thank you to Kathy. Love your CAS design that showcases that gorgeous flower and your beautiful blended background. What a sweet friend to gift you two of her lovely paintings. If you have a chance and it's not too much hassle, would love for you to share those paintings on your blog.

    The sunset sky is amazing after the rain, Mary. The colours are stunning. So happy you shared these pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous painting and a really lovely card, love the turquoise shade and the super CAS effect.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds like an amazing person and I know the paintings are beautiful! She's going to simply adore this card Mary. GORGEOUS!!! Love the simplicity of it yet the beauty.
    Very pretty sunset too - and great photos!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dropping by with heartfelt love, and thanking you for sharing your pretty artwork. Please forgive my copy and paste today. But I want you to know that I’m thinking of you with fondness. Hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like Kathy is an amazing person, a real inspiration. I'm sure you will treasure the paintings she so kindly gave you. Like Loll, I hope you are able to share them on your blog some time. I love the gorgeous CAS card you've made for her, the inky panel is beautiful, such a lovely colour.

    What a beautiful sunset! TFS the photo. We're in the middle of really cold weather here, with a blanket of snow outside. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary,beautiful card my friend,well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW stunning card Mary love the beautiful embossed Teasel stamp-I keep admiring peoples white embossed images -will have to give it a go!!!Beautiful sunsets and glad to see you finally received your gift of paintings
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. An amazing card for an amazing lady. Thank you for sharing your story about her. What beautiful sunsets you managed to capture. Very cold here in the UK with lots of snow. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely Thank You card Mary. I am sure your friend will be delighted with it.
    Lovely sunset pictures. We to have just received some very welcome rain after so long without.
    hugs
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful story of your friend, Mary!! And what a stunning card you've created for her!! The colors are gorgeous!! And wow, amazing shots of the sunset, too!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, I love that thistle image, I have to ask who make it. It's so beautiful.
    your friend is amazing and the sunset images are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card for a beautiful person Mary, I'm sure she'll love this, it's gorgeous, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary, The Thank You card is lovely.

    What a beautiful sunset.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty card!! Beautiful sunset photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful, uplifting story, Mary! Your thank you card is beautiful and I'm sure Kathy will really appreciate it being an artist herself! I'd love to see a picture of her paintings.

    Beautiful sunset and I hope you are enjoying the sunshine as much as we are!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure your friend will love this. She sounds like a terrific person. There is a soft glow on your card. The sponging is beautiful. So is your sunset. Nature really knows how to turn it on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your card is beautiful Mary, perfect for a thank you card for your friend. Love the sunset pictures too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this is a sweet card for this lady! She has had some challenges but did not let them slow her down. I imagine her paintings are beautiful! I like the simplicity and gorgeous background of your thank you card! Beautiful sunset photos too! Enjoy your weekend, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed hearing the story of your friend and her daughter, and what a thoughtful thank-you card you've made to say thanks! I love the white against that beautiful aqua color and the black sentiment is perfect with it's sharp contrast. The sunset photos are lovely! We're digging out from a wicked snowstorm that knocked out power and still has quite a few without it still today. At least the sun is out and our house is warm once again :) Have a great weekend! Congrats on your blog-aversary too. I was fortunate enough to win a previous one from you, so I'm standing down for this one so some other lucky girl can win this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm relieved to hear that the weather is good in your zone! Enjoy these touches of Spring!
    I'm impressed by the story you told us about your deaf friend, how strong she was her Mum and how she is too! Wonderful she is painting, because having a new way to communicate impressions and sentiments is very important!! She was so kid to gift you two painting and your card for her looks so vibrant and sweet! Love the turquoise tones and the white embossed plant pops so well from the background! Lovely tag and stitched layered frames!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a dear friend to send you her artwork, she is sure to love yours in return. Mollie Rose isn't saying very much yet but she can "sign" please and hello. One of the little boys in her swimming group was born deaf so Chelsea asked his Mum to share some signing so she could show Mollie xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mary, and what an inspiring story, I loved reading it, and it's so good to hear that your friend has not let her disability blight her life, and still has much to learn and give.
    Your card is beautiful, I love the gorgeous colours and the image, I'm sur your fried will love it, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very very effective ..............Lis

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing the story of this lady and her painting Mary. I know a blind lady who has also never let anything get in the way of her being as normal as possible. Glad your friend managed to deliver the paintings when he came to visit recently, and love the beautiful sunset photos too. Now on to your oh so pretty thank you card. The background colour is gorgeous and the white embossed teasel is the perfect image and love the stitched and dry embossed frame. Simple and elegent. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mary, so sorry, I just had a senior moment and called the lady blind I think instead of deaf. I think talking about our blind friend set up confusion in my mind, doesn't take much...lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing this post with us Mary x 'Enjoyed' reading it. Sorry you left teh paintings behind and yes you must have felt awful but so glad they are with you now. x What a beautiful CAS card, pretty oxide colours and the white embossing looks great. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing your friend's story. Beautiful thank you card you created! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such an inspiring post Mary, so much we should be thankful for. Beautiful sunsets and I LOVE your card, such a beautiful image beautifully presented.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't imagine being able to paint like this with no lessons. What a wonderful God given talent your friend has!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love that background Mary, it really makes the embossed flower stand out. Did you spritz it to get that white spotty effect?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the look of this card Momma Mary and what a story to go with it! I'm so in awe of the mom and daughter-both very strong women! Then to retire from a career and pick up a paint brush and paint beautiful paintings....like I said, I'm in awe! The card you made for her is just beautiful. I love the DO colors you used and I am really loving how you are using dies to emboss with on your cards. It really adds a beautiful dimension to them! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete