Followers

12/17/2017

A Happy Birthday Poinsettia

Good evening, and thanks for stopping by for a little visit. We have a dear friend from our days in Florida, who is going to be 100 years old on Christmas Eve. This sweet lady has since been moved out to California by her son, so that he can better look after her, but aside from most things age-related, she is still sharp although due to some falls in the past, she moves about with a wheelchair. She loves to read, watch tv, goes to craft & social functions at the living facility where she resides. So what to make for this special lady? We even looked at Hallmark as I wanted something very elegant and beautiful for her. I was quite disappointed, as all of the cards we saw were humorous or just not suited for this milestone occasion. So, thinking...well, it's Christmas AND her birthday, she likes flowers...poinsettias, right? So here's what finally evolved, and I will say right up front, it looks much better IRL than it does in the photo.


- A Penny Black poinsettia background was stamped using versamark, heat embossed with Queen's Gold.

- White cardstock was die cut with a Tim Holtz Mixed Media die (which I thought I had in my stash; then when I went to pull it from storage, that was not one of the 2 mixed media sets I have! Murphy's Law!) After this corner was die cut, the piece was embossed with a Tim Holtz poinsettia EF.

- A stampendous poinsettia image was stamped with versamark, heat embossed with Queen's Gold, and colored with copics (carefully, as the nibs don't like the embossed edges). I did 2 sets of this poinsettia, adhered one layer. Then on the 2nd layer, used a stylus to raise up the petals on some leaves. Looking pretty good, until I tried to 'deboss' the center, and stylus poked through! Grrr! So first thought of Nuvo drops, but then decided to drop some glossy accents into the center, then add some of the tiny, tiny gold beads (forget what these are called..it's not prills). Of course these little things just go all over, but I managed to mound them up and it dried overnight.

- Sentiment was heat embossed with the same gold on heavy weight vellum. I was going to add 100th between the words, but did not have any number stamps that looked appropriate with the size of the sentiment letters. Inside it references the milestone, and I hope she will enjoy knowing this card was made just especially for her. We've always thought a great deal of this elegant & refined lady and don't get to see her since she moved to California.

Some lovely cards were added to the Cards by Friends page tonight. Are you as intimidated to send your cards to fellow card bloggers as I am? But we sure do get a bright lift to our day to receive them from these sweet people. I have a few more, but haven't photo'd those as yet.

Have a wonderful week, and hope you can find some relaxing time. We aren't real sure we'll make our trip to Florida for Christmas. DH had a procedure to shatter the kidney stone on Thursday, and we're not 100% sure that it's successful. He's done pretty well, but still seems to have some pain at night when he lies down. Still watching to see if anything passes...just didn't feel it was the thing we should do to take a 12+ hr drive, perhaps encounter a problem while away from his doctor and his records. So we're just a little 'down'...but all things happen for a reason.

God Bless. Hugs too.

26 comments:

  1. Mary what an exquisite card - you have made a beauty for you special friend. I think it is so classy with all the texture and gold!!
    I can understand her hesitancy about travelling after such a procedure.
    May Christmas bring you blessings of love.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, What a lovely card for your friend. My birthday is also Christmas Eve.

    Good idea to stay home if hubby is still getting pains. Sending him heaps of positive healing thoughts.

    Hope you have a good start to the week. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful card and much more meaningful than anything you could buy in a card store IMHO! IT's beautiful with the vellum panel and gorgeous poinsettia and how wonderful to reach the age of 100!! My great aunt lived to be 106 and was the most wonderful person! She too was in a wheelchair, but remained alert, smart and sociable right up until the day she passed! The lady who receives this card will be so pleased and grateful I'm sure! Beautiful work! The card you sent us is fabulous too! Oh my, that Santa sleigh in the sky is the BEST!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is gorgeous Mary! Your dear friend will surely love this. Wow, what a milestone. That's awesome that you still keep in touch with her. Love the vellum sentiment and the corner die cut - beautiful mixed media look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous card for a special lady Mary, a beautiful Poinsettia and fabulous design - so elegant.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I think that you have centered the occasion with this amazing card! A Birthday sentiment and a poinsettia are just perfect for that lady, and the card is elegant and delicate!! Great work on the poinsettia, it seems true!
    Hope that the pain of your hubby goes away sooner and that the procedure to shatter the kidney stone has been successful!
    Take care!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful and as special as your friend's 100th birthday! You shouldn't feel intimidated about sending your cards. They are beautiful! I LOVE the one you sent us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poinsettia is a real beauty Mary and I love the gold embossed sentiment on the vellum over the top. I'm sure your friend will adore this for her landmark birthday. So sorry that you might have to forego your trip to Florida for Christmas but I think that you are right to be cautious until DH is better, but must be very disappointing for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your friend will be bowled over by this card you made for her. How wonderful she is so active and interested in things. I love all the gold touches and how you saved the center of the poinsettia, it looks beautiful. I don't blame you for not driving that far until you are sure hubby is okay. I hope his pain goes away and is just left over from the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a grand age to reach, just wonderful.
    Your card is absolutely stunning Mary, beautifully desined and coloured, I'm sure your friend will love it, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card is so gorgeous and I am sure your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, your card is both beautiful and elegant! The embossing is lovely as is the beautiful poinsettia! I am sure your friend will love and appreciate this beautiful card to celebrate such a life's milestone!
    Merry Christmas!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you, Mary. All things happen for a reason and God gave us common sense to tell us when something just doesn't feel like the best decision. The important thing right now is Joe's comfort. I'm sorry to hear that he has had this happen. It's terribly painful. You guys just can't catch a break this year and I can only pray that he is 100% soon and next year is a healthy one for both of you!

    Your card for your amazing 100 yo lady friend is gorgeous!! She will be dazzled! Bless her cotton socks and Happy Christmas to all!! Hugs and love, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH! Mary this is so VERY Beautiful, I had to stop by and say this grand old lady is going to love this Stunning card, love how you have put everything together. I'm sorry to hear about hubby, I hope he is OK and not suffering too much.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful card for your friend's 100th birthday. She sounds like an amazing lady and I am certain that she will love her card. I like the gold embossing and your lovely colouring.
    I'm sorry that you aren't able to make your christmas trip this year, and hope that your husband is soon fully recovered.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear so sorry to hear about DH problems but like you say better to be safe than sorry.
    That is one gorgeous poinsettia and a really super card. I don't trust myself at all with vellum. Yours looks super.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous card, Mary, perfect to mark a milestone December birthday. The poinsettia is stunning! I'm sure the recipient will be delighted to receive such a beautiful card. It will be a shame if you don't make it to Florida for Christmas, but as you say, everything happens for a reason. Hope your hubby makes a speedy recovery. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your poinsettia is absolutely gorgeous as is your coloring on that! Love the background! I have those Tim Holtz dies and never once used them. I'm sure she will love this Mary. And what will we do when we run out of Queen's gold?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your friend attaining 100yrs. This is a perfect card for her. The Doc's Aunt will be 91yrs on 24th Dec and is still very much on the ball and keeps house for herself with no added help. she also does all the gardening. Hope you have a lovely Christmas. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so elegant and beautiful, Mary. That gold embossing powder is wonderful as is your coloring. I can't imagine living 100 years. But my grandmother lived to be 102. And two of her siblings also lived past 100 years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a gorgeous card Mary, I love poinsettias and this one is beautiful and just perfect for a lady who is 100 years young! Sorry that Mr is not fully well again, hope it all passes soon and you can both enjoy the holiday season! Big hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thinking of you and your husband and hope he feels well soon x What a marvellous card you've made, so eye catching and stunning and what a wonderful milestone x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw this spectacular card! This is so perfect and special for the occasion! Your friend will be touched!
    Hope you will have a merry Christmas despite a change in plans and all the best for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just beautiful Mary. I am sure your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bet your friend loved her birthday card, Mary! Such a gorgeous poinsettia, and your colouring is amazing. Love the mixed media elements that add so much.

    Glad Joe got through the procedure but sorry to hear he isn't feeling 100%. You're right, these things happen for a reason. Being at home this year, you'll be able to support your brother more easily. I'm sure it will be tough for him this year.

    Received your gorgeous card in the mail. LOVE that stenciled tree. So pretty with the silver paste and glitter. I have the larger size, but this size is just wonderful, so I'm adding it to my wish list. :)

    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Mary. All the best for a happy and healthy 2018! Love, Loll

    ReplyDelete