Followers

3/24/2012

Velveteen Technique

Good Morning. Hope it's lovely where you are. After a gloomy day yesterday, we have some bright sunshine, but clouds are hovering so there's a possibility we may get some thunderstorms later. Since I didn't post yesterday, I have a card to post today. I must give all credit to Sue, of http://suesinkyfingers.blogspot.com/. I had seen this Velveteen technique demonstrated over on Hero Arts blog, but when I saw Sue use the Hero Arts 3 Ferns using the technique, I thought "Aha, I have that stamp!".
I tried it, but it didn't turn out like I expected. I emailed Sue, who very kindly sent me some suggestions. I had used a white pigment ink by Inkadoo to ink up an Impression Obsession Cover a Card for the background. I'm not sure if the ink was too dry, too old, etc, but it just didn't show up. Sue's suggestion was to try different inks, and she told me what she had used. Well, I couldn't find the Colorbox Frost white, but I did find some SU white pigment, and used a different IO CAC. Immediately with the SU ink, I saw a major improvement. I let the background dry while I was doing something else, then I used 2 Archival green inks, and the impression really was effective. Unfortunately, my scan doesn't really show it so that you can see the very subtle background. (Sue's does though!) There's also a video on the Hero Arts blog - by Shari I think. I'll put the link in later. Anyway, here's what I used ...
Neenah white paper (Marcos Paper), SU classic white pigment ink, Archival Veridian & Library Green; Stamps: IO CAC 027 - Flourishes, Hero Arts S5154 Three Ferns. After the stamping part was finished, I decided to use a small brush to apply a bit of Ranger Gold Stickles. The cardbase.  was Bazzill, from stash, so I'm not sure of the color. It just looked nice with the Fern's green, and was a scrap large enough to make a cardbase. I used the Scor-buddy to create some dimension on each side of the image, and used a Spellbinder die to cut out the image. I tried to do a bit better on the supply list...but check out http://suesinkyfingers.blogspot.com/  to see this technique demonstrated with a better view. I'm trying different settings with the scanner - trying to get a better image until I can get a light tent or something! Hope you like the card.

Edited: I tried to paste the video link but it is not working for some reason; Google Youtube, search for Velveteen Technique, and I think you'll be able to find it.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Mary! I really love this card. Will email you about blog issues but meanwhile, I think your images are fine. I just use a digital camera, no flash on plus set to close-ups and some card propped up against either my desk light or (get this!) against the TV in our bedroom with the curtains pulled right back to get the best light! Have a great weekend! Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is gorgeous! Fabulous technique! BTW Sue has a link to the video on her post.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pretty shades of green on your fern Mary and I'm happy the technique finally did work for you!

    ReplyDelete