Followers

5/31/2013

Thinking of You

Good morning, and a warm Friday Welcome to you. Hope you have some exciting plans for the weekend (mine include some housework...maybe! not very exciting, but gotta be done occasionally).
A fellow blogger has lost her DH, and another blogger let me know. I wanted to send her a card to let her know I was thinking about her.

Here's the card:
the overlay is vellum, embossed with the same Spellbinder that was used on the underlayer. This spellbinder is one of the heavy plastic green ones that I believe have been retired. It's not in the original packing, so I don't remember the name. Tried to find it on the web, but nothing showed up. Spellbinders put out quite a few of these plastic diecut & emboss folders, but I couldn't find the first one in my searching!

I had taken markers to color the embossed design, which is very detailed. I thought it was too bright. I don't do much with vellum, but I wanted to tone down the coloring, so I embossed a vellum sheet with a lightweight piece of cardstock underneath, so that this die wouldn't cut through the vellum. When I placed the vellum overlaid on the original c/s embossing, I liked it better.

Bird image was a Stacy Stamp previously colored, but it fit in with the die opening, and I thought it looked nice with the vellum. Mounted these layers onto a good quality White textured Bazzill cardbase.

Added top & bottom border trim with an MS punch to add a bit of soft color, and emphasize the finch.

Sentiment is diecut vellum, again with c/s under it as it cut. The vellum was too lightweight against the card, so I used the cardstock that had been cut with this run underneath it. Liked it lots better. Added pale green pearls to cover the vellum tape used to adhere this piece to the card. The sentiment was stamped with versamark, then heat embossed with a Ranger gold EP, but not my usual Queen's Gold. I think this was labeled Enchanted Gold -it's a much softer gold tone.

Yellow grosgrain ribbon was a last minute addition.

Due to the size of the S/Binder die, this card is much larger than my usual size. I hope it will convey to the recipient a feeling that she is being thought of during this difficult time.

Thanks for joining me today, and come again when you can 'sit a spell on the porch swing'. Hugs

14 comments:

  1. I think she will truly appreciate your beautiful card Mary, it is perfect for such a sad occasion. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a beautiful card, mary; i love the soft colours. your friend will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
    hugs, linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like i forgot to sign in, so i'm trying to comment again. this is a beautiful card, mary; i love the soft colours, the embossing and the vellum. your friend will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
    hugs, linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this card is so perfect for such a sad occasion. I love the look of the vellum...it really gives a soft, yet elegant feel to your card.

    That bird image is so pretty...I think it was a very fitting choice for this sympathy/thinking of you card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The card is beautiful and I am sure will be greatly appreciated. The weather is awesome right now isn't it? Hope it continues this way for us for awhile! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very elegant card for your friend . I m sure she will appreciate it. Hugs Mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely card for such a sad occasion. I'm sure it will bring cheer to the recipient, it's so good to know that someone is thinking of you when you're in such a dark place. I know that the cards my family received when we lost my Mum meant a great deal. The vellum looks lovely, it's so delicate.

    Thanks for your kind words on my blog about my daughter's illness, too, it makes a big difference!

    love Mags B xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely card Mary - and the vellum softens it beautifully... Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, Mary! I love this bird and the beautiful embossing! Such a sad occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty card that should help bring cheer & let her know that you are thinking about her during such a difficult time. I also love the bird & the embossing. Have a great weekend, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone would love to receive such a pretty card Mary - especially since it has been made by your!!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always difficult to make cards like this. This is a really lovely creation and the vellum is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Mary this card is beautiful and so comforting! I know it is so hard to make these types of cards but you have did an amazing job! I love that image of the yellow bird on the dagwood branch, so pretty and of course you have it colored so perfectly! I love the embossed area and the touch of yellow on the border!! I know this card will bring your friend a lot of comfort! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary your card is beautiful and made with love.
    I am sorry to hear that she has suffered this great loss.
    I will hug my Bald Man a bit closer and be thankful I can.
    Hope that you have a great weekend.
    Hugs
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete