Followers

6/04/2013

Birthday

Oh Happy Day and Hello! This will be my 2nd entry into the Pixie's Playground snippet challenge, where there is a marvelous texture stamp (water droplets by Ryn) being offered as a prize. Please do check it out. This card has a few snippets on it...so here goes.

- cardbase is a Bazzill textured - rather hot pink colored - cardstock (which I'm calling a snippet, cause it was used on another project, and was still in my snippet pile!). It was large enough I could squeeze this cardbase out of it.

- green flowered dsp used for mat, also a snippet, large enough to fit as a mat for the white embossed Cryogen paper (also from another project- so snippety!) The Cryogen paper was about the same size as the green piece, until diecut, embossed, scored & trimmed to fit over the other 2 layers.

- positive image from the M/Box Hibiscus was layered over a small piece of water color (I trimmed this from a full size, so I can't truthfully say this was a snippet. )<g>. I had taken TH DI pens to try to create a watercolor background for the flower underlayer; not real happy with my results using Cryogen paper first go-round. So I decided to pop the positive dicut over the underlayer, and shape the petals. I used Derwent Inktense pencils on the positive diecut, then a waterbrush.

- tiny butterflies were an MS punch with multiple sizes, and punched from one of my watercolor efforts for the flower (hmmm...could that technically be called a snippet? It was salvaged anyway, and basically, the large b/fly is covering a smudge I got on the embossed piece). I was using some of the Cryogen pieces to test the TH DI inks as to whether they would work for watercoloring, but I was getting 'pilling' of the paper - which may have been due to my inexperience with this technique. I decided to use some w/c paper, and it worked better for me.This is the underlayer of the cutout, and the popped up flower was Cryogen, so I worked with the pencils to color the white diecut. I needed a 'fix' for my smudge, so I used the 'bad' w/c pieces to cut the butterflies. Also added a tiny pearl for a body.

- green stem of the flower - definitely a snippet. I've been using this green paper for several things lately, and there was just a tiny piece, big enough to adhere under the embossed piece to create a stem. This one was very tiny!.

Added some rolled, thin copper wire to create some stamens. These were hard to get to stay put. I added some Viva Décor Gold Glitter over the stamens to help hold in place. Hope this works.

Lastly, diecut the sentiment from the same green as the matting (from the small piece left from removing the center of the mat (so another snippet!). Die was purchased from Simon Says Stamps, and I believe it is a Memory Box die, made especially for SSS. I really do like these sentiment diecuts. I hope some of the die companies will produce some like this for other holidays & occasions.

Hope you like this card, and that my explanation of what I did made sense. That said, let's all hop on the currents, and pop over the pond to check out what the Playground ladies are up to, while our fearless leader is off having fun.

Thanks for joining me today, and hope you'll join us at Pixie's Playground as well. Hugs

10 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, yes your explanatino did make sense and your card is beautiful. Love the embossing and the gorgeous flower. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty indeed! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this bright happy card Mary :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary I love your card. All the wonderful snippety bits and Love that sentiment. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary this card is beautiful!! I am so loving your water coloring! The colors in this card are just gorgeous, love the embossing and love the wire stamens, clever! I also love your butterflies and if you hadn't told us we would have never know you were hiding a boo boo. Love, love your sentiment as well!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is fabulous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty flower, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great explanation, easy to follow for this tired old brain...Lovely card Mary...the butterflies were a great "save" and look perfect anyway! I always love your phrases and this one is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful Mary! Thank you for all the encouragement to others to come and play too.

    Crumbs though, I'd have had that fabulous die cut sentiment in pieces before it even got near the card - you must have endless patience and steady hands.

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty - love the texture in the background - beautifully made!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete