Followers

6/17/2013

Birthday

Here we are at the start of a new week. Seems as though these days just fly by. I used to hear my parents talk about time passing faster, and wondered what the heck are they talking about? We all have the same 24 hrs in a day. I've reached an age where I understand exactly what they meant! When I was waiting to become 16, then 21, seemed like it took forever. Being out of school for the summer was a long, long 3 months. Isn't it strange how your perspective can change???

Here's my card for today:


- Die-Namite Rose die cut from red mirror paper (a snippet). This die cut beautifully, but since it was from thicker paper, I did run it through on 2 passes. Adhered diecut to white card stock with my favorite Easy Flow glue...just dabbing a spot here & there. Let it dry, then fussy cut around the outside of the cardstock. I decided to experiment with coloring to get an orange-y rose. I used copics from the yellow, red, orange family of colors, sometimes using a circle motion, sometimes flicking the colors. I think I succeeded in doing what I tried to do for the mottled coloring. I did find that alcohol markers will remove the color from the mirror paper. Didn't know that would happen.

- leaves were die cut from 2 different Impression Obsession leaf sets (more green snippets) in 2 different greens. I used the new Sizzix Susan's Garden Accesory Kit. I had this on order from Scrapbooking Made Simple but happened to see it in Hobby Lobby after I had ordered it. Had a coupon, so snarfed it up; called SMS & asked them to remove it from my pending order. They were very cooperative about this, which pleased me. :-) . Dabbed 2 different green shades of Pan Pastel on the leaves, used the leaf tool to shape, and added a more distinctive center vein with a copic green marker. Glued the leaves under the rose, adhered to a pearlized yellow background. The photo doesn't really capture the pretty yellow shade. Gotta be the Operator.

- Elizabeth Craft sentiment diecut from the same red mirror paper as the rose - snippet - a very tiny one! That's one other reason I love these small dies...you can use up small snippets.

There's a story behind my recent orange rose efforts. Years ago, we visited FDR's home (Springwood) in Hyde Park, NY. While in the rose garden, we saw the most beautiful orange rose bush..it was so vibrant, and the roses were like velvet texture. I've never seen another that shade of orange. And of course I didn't make note of the name of this particular rose bush. We've some roses planted off our deck and I keep trying to get one that color. Several were supposed to be in the coral/orange family, but ...sigh, not the color I'm trying for.

Have a blessed day, and thanks for joining me. Hugs.

13 comments:

  1. Your card is beautiful Mary! Love how that rose just shines! I too, understand the passing of time going faster and faster, most days I wake up and wonder when did I get so old? lol waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get that real rose the color you want in your yard - but if not, you've always got this beauty to look at! LOVE the color of that single rose and the leaves are so real looking! Beautiful card.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, that really is a lovely die and the colour of your rose is glorious! Well done on getting the mottled colour you were looking for too. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this is stunning! A real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary. Your rose is GORGEOUS! Love the way you've colored the red mirror paper ... beautiful shading of oranges and reds. Must give that a try! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary this card is gorgeous! I love the way the color pops off that rose! And I truly hear ya about time passing by so fast. When I was younger I thought the same way, that summer felt like an eternity and now the days and nights fly by so fast. All we can do is look forward to the next day! =)

    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Mary, I love that rose!!! Love the colors you made it with the Copics, you are truly talent with those Copics!! That mirror paper outline is just beautiful with that rose! Love, love, love this card! I hope one day you find the right orange colored rose for your garden! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary, Love the color you did on that rose, it's so pretty and realistic to me.
    Hugs
    Chris B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty card Mary - yes we have had tons of rain and wind!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary I love the effect you achieved on this card its great!! I also totally understand what you mean about time flying by.
    I just had this conversation with my 15 year old son. He doesn't believe me yet either! He will one day :)
    Hugs
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty rose Mary ! and yes the time is racing by, we have to enjoy each moment don't we ? Have a wonderful day, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful rose! Love your coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab use off of peel offs Mary so cherry and bright, Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete